The Italian surname Difilippo is a patronymic
name created from the first name of a male ancestor. As a first name, it is derived from the Latin "Philippus," which is in turn derived from the Greek "Philipp•s." This name is composed of the element "philos" which means "friend," and "hippos," meaning "horse." Thus the surname literally means "son of one who is a lover of horses." This name became common throughout Europe due to several saints and monarchs who bore the name.
Early Origins of the Difilippo family
The surname Difilippo was first found in the ancient city of Arcevia, where a record from 1238 showed a Corrado di Filippino, who owned Castle Montesecco.
Early History of the Difilippo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Difilippo research.Another 280 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1625, 1457, 1574, 1536, 1602, 1830 and 1859 are included under the topic Early Difilippo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Difilippo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Filippi, Filippo, Filippa, Filpo, Filpi, Firpo, Filippino, Filipi, Filipucci, Filipipi, Firpi, De Filippo, De Filippi, De Filippis, Di Filippo, Filipovich, Filipcic, Filippelli, Filippello, Filippetti, Filippini, Filippucci, Filippozzi, Filipponi, Filippone, Filippazzo, Filippaz, Filipaz, Filipas, Filippanio, Filippato and many more.
Early Notables of the Difilippo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Fra Filippo Lippi, a famous Florentine painter of the 15th century. He was influenced by Massaccio, and painted much for the Medici family, the rulers at the time. Another famous painter was Filippino Lippi, born in Prato in 1457, who worked in Florence under... Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Difilippo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Difilippo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Difilippo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfredo Di Filippo, aged 31, who landed in America from Alfedena, Italy, in 1904
- Angelo Di Filippo, aged 18, who landed in America from Sarno, Italy, in 1905
- Alfredo Di Filippo, aged 11, who emigrated to the United States from Sarno, Italy, in 1907
- Angelo Di Filippo, aged 39, who settled in America from Pozzollo, Sicily, in 1907
- Andrea Di Filippo, aged 18, who landed in America from Palombara, Italy, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Difilippo (post 1700)
- Paul Di Filippo (b. 1954), American science fiction writer
- Armando Di Filippo, Argentine economist