on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Dewdney family come from? What is the English Dewdney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Dewdney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Dewdney family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dowdney, Dodenhay, Dowdnay, Dewdney, Doudnay, Doudney, Dudney and many more.
First found in Surrey where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dewdney research. Another 163 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Dewdney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Dewdney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dewdney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Dewdney, who arrived in Norfolk, Va in 1823
- Joseph Dewdney, aged 26, arrived in New York, NY in 1855
- Alexander Dewdney (b. 1941), Canadian mathematician, computer scientist and philosopher
- Christopher Dewdney (b. 1951), Canadian poet
- Edgar Dewdney (1835-1916), Canadian surveyor, engineer, politician, and provincial Lieutenant-Governor
- Selwyn Dewdney (1909-1979), Canadian author, illustrator and artist, father of Alexander and Christopher
- Tom Dewdney (b. 1933), West Indian cricketer
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Dewdney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dewdney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2014 at 22:33.
on orders of $85 or more