on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Dewdney was first found in Surrey
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that county.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dowdney, Dodenhay, Dowdnay, Dewdney, Doudnay, Doudney, Dudney and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dewdney research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Dewdney History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Dewdney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Dewdney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Dewdney, who arrived in Norfolk, Va in 1823
- Joseph Dewdney, aged 26, arrived in New York, NY in 1855
- Tom Dewdney (b. 1933), West Indian cricketer
- Selwyn Dewdney (1909-1979), Canadian author, illustrator and artist, father of Alexander and Christopher
- Edgar Dewdney (1835-1916), Canadian surveyor, engineer, politician, and provincial Lieutenant-Governor
- Christopher Dewdney (b. 1951), Canadian poet
- Alexander Dewdney (b. 1941), Canadian mathematician, computer scientist and philosopher
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
The Dewdney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dewdney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2014 at 22:33.
on orders of $85 or more