100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French
The surname Devos is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local
names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. As a general rule, the greater the distance between an individual and their homeland, the larger the territory they were named after. For example, a person who only moved to another parish would be known by the name of their original village, while people who migrated to a different country were often known by the name of a region or country from which they came. The name Devos is a contraction of an Old French phrase meaning beautiful valley, and indicates that the original bearer lived in such a place at one time.
The surname Devos was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where the family held a family seat
from ancient times in the town of Volnay in the district of Beaune.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Beliveau, Béliveau, Belivaux, Bélivaux, Belliveau, Bélliveau, Bellivaux, Béllivaux, Belleveau, Bellevaux, de Bellevau and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Devos research. Another 215 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1555, 1666, 1669, and 1813 are included under the topic Early Devos History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Devos Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Devos Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Andries DeVos, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1640
- Balthasaer DeVos, who arrived in New York in 1662
- Balthazaer DeVos, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1662
- Catherine Renard DeVos, who arrived in New York, NY in 1662
- Anna DeVos, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1665
Devos Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Pierre Henry Devos, who landed in Louisiana in 1718-1724
Devos Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Singis DeVos, aged 6, landed in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Auvan DeVos, aged 40, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Elias Phillip DeVos, aged 20, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Jacob DeVos, aged 9, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1847
- Jan DeVos, aged 45, landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847
- Richard DeVos, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1988
- Martha DeVos, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1944
- Margaret DeVos, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1964
- John Devos, American politician, United Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives from Wayne County 1st District, 1936
- Elizabeth DeVos, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Michigan, 1988, 2000
- Dick DeVos (b. 1955), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State Board of Education; Elected 1990
- Cornelis de Vos (1585-1651), Flemish painter
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
The Devos Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Devos Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 May 2016 at 04:29.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!