on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the French Devore family come from? What is the French Devore family crest and coat of arms? When did the Devore family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Devore family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: De Vaur, Devaur, Devore, Vaure, Vaurs, Vaurin, Vaury, Vabre, DeVuare, De la Vaure, DuVaure and many more.
First found in Forez, a former province of France, now part of the modern Loire, the Haute-Loire and Puy-de-Dôme départements, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in this region and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived. They were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Devore research. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Devore History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Devore Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Devore Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Samuel F. Devore, aged 36, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Stella F. Devore, aged 34, who arrived in America, in 1903
- James Devore, aged 44, who arrived in America, in 1911
- Joshua Devore, aged 24, who arrived in America, in 1911
- Marion DeVore, aged 35, who arrived in America, in 1912
- Ophelia DeVore (1922-2014), American businesswoman and former model, first African-American model in the United States
- Edward Allen DeVore Jr. (1947-1968), United States Army soldier
- Dorothy Devore (1899-1976), leading and popular American silent-film actor and comedian
- Douglas Rinehart DeVore (b. 1977), former American Major League Baseball outfielder
- Cain Devore, American film and television actor
- Leland Swarts Devore (1889-1939), American football tackle and military officer
- Louis "Billy" Devore (1910-1985), American racecar driver
- Howard DeVore (1925-2005), American archivist, science fiction collector, dealer, expert on pulp magazines, APA and fanzine writer
- Irven DeVore (b. 1934), American anthropologist and evolutionary biologist
- Earl Devore (1888-1928), American racecar driver
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
The Devore Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Devore Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2015 at 11:45.
on orders of $85 or more