on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the French Devore family come from? What is the French Devore family crest and coat of arms? When did the Devore family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Devore family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: De Vaur, Devaur, Devore, Vaure, Vaurs, Vaurin, Vaury, Vabre, DeVuare, De la Vaure, DuVaure and many more.
First found in Forez, a former province of France, now part of the modern Loire, the Haute-Loire and Puy-de-Dôme départements, where the family has been a prominent family for centuries, and held a family seat with lands and manor. The family were well established in this region and several members of the family distinguished themselves through their contributions toward the community in which they lived. They were rewarded with lands, titles and letters patent confirming their nobility.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Devore research. Another 101 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Devore History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Devore Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Devore Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Samuel F. Devore, aged 36, who arrived in America, in 1903
- Stella F. Devore, aged 34, who arrived in America, in 1903
- James Devore, aged 44, who arrived in America, in 1911
- Joshua Devore, aged 24, who arrived in America, in 1911
- Marion DeVore, aged 35, who arrived in America, in 1912
- Charles S. "Chuck" DeVore (b. 1962), American politician
- Hugh John Devore (1910-1992), American football player and coach
- Joshua M. Devore (1887-1954), American professional baseball player
- Gary DeVore (1941-1997), American Hollywood screenwriter
- Gary Devore, American archaeologist
- Earl Devore (1888-1928), American racecar driver
- Irven DeVore (b. 1934), American anthropologist and evolutionary biologist
- Howard DeVore (1925-2005), American archivist, science fiction collector, dealer, expert on pulp magazines, APA and fanzine writer
- Louis "Billy" Devore (1910-1985), American racecar driver
- Leland Swarts Devore (1889-1939), American football tackle and military officer
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Devore Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Devore Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 July 2014 at 11:24.
on orders of $85 or more