100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Devoe is a topographic surname, which was given to a person who resided near a physical feature such as a hill, stream, church, or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local
names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. As a general rule, the greater the distance between an individual and their homeland, the larger the territory they were named after. For example, a person who only moved to another parish would be known by the name of their original village, while people who migrated to a different country were often known by the name of a region or country from which they came. The name Devoe is a contraction of an Old French phrase meaning beautiful valley, and indicates that the original bearer lived in such a place at one time.
The surname Devoe was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where the family held a family seat
from ancient times in the town of Volnay in the district of Beaune.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Beliveau, Béliveau, Belivaux, Bélivaux, Belliveau, Bélliveau, Bellivaux, Béllivaux, Belleveau, Bellevaux, de Bellevau and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Devoe research. Another 215 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1295, 1555, 1666, 1669, and 1813 are included under the topic Early Devoe History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Devoe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Devoe Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Frederick Devoe, who arrived in New York in 1675
- Nicholas DeVoe, who landed in New Jersey in 1678
Devoe Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J B Devoe, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Mr. Devoe, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- A Devoe, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Devoe Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Conradt Devoe U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784
- Mr. Johann Ernst Devoe U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
- Brigadier-General Ralph Godwin DeVoe (1883-1966), American Commanding General Halloran General Hospital (1942-1946)
- Emma Smith DeVoe (1848-1927), American Republican Party activist and leading suffragette
- Todd Vaughn Devoe (b. 1980), American football wide receiver
- Donald E. "Don" DeVoe (b. 1941), former American college basketball coach
- Charles Devoe (1982-2010), American male model
- Jack Devoe, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 1944, 1948, 1952, 1960
- Louise Ogden DeVoe, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1932 (alternate), 1936
- Robert W. Devoe, American politician, Member of University of Nebraska Board of Regents, 1937-
- Violet Devoe, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Coronado, California, 1996
- William H. Devoe, American politician, U.S. Collector of Customs, 1909
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Vaillancourt, Emile. La Conquete du Canada par les Normands. Biographie de la premiere generation Normande du Canada. Montreal: G. Ducharme, 1930. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Doyle, William. The Oxford History of the French Revolution. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0192852213).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Devoe Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Devoe Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2015 at 11:45.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!