Devito History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name comes from the Latin word "vita," meaning "life."
Early Origins of the Devito family
The surname Devito was first found in Treviso, anciently known as Tarvisium, a town in Venetia, capital of the province of Treviso. The cathedral of San Pietro is notable and dates back to 1141. It is in the classical style with seven domes, and houses works by many notable painters and sculptors. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Devito family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Devito research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1290, 1848, 1489, 1458, 1502, 1469, 1523, 1508, 1513, 1610, 1681, 1652, 1660, 1632, 1692, 1753 and 1824 are included under the topic Early Devito History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Devito Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Viti, Vito, Vit, Vitti, Biti, Bitti, Bitto, Vidi, Vido, Vio, Vitelli, Vitello, Vitiello, Vitulli, Vittozzo, Vitone, Vitoni, Bittolo, Bittini, Bitelli, Vidolo, Vitangelo, Vilotti, Vidossi and many more.
Early Notables of the Devito family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Cornelio Vitelli ( fl. 1489), Italian scholar, born of a noble family at Corneto in the Romagna. 
Vitellozzo Vitelli (c.1458-1502) was an Italian condottiero, Lord of Montone, Città di Castello, Monterchi and Anghiari; Timoteo Viti (1469-1523), was an Italian Renaissance painter closely associated with Raphael from...
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Devito Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Devito migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Devito Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michele-Angelo DeVito, who arrived in New York on board the "SS Anglia" in 1891
Contemporary Notables of the name Devito (post 1700) +
- Daniel Michael "Danny" DeVito (b. 1944), Emmy Award-winning American actor, director, and an Oscar-nominated producer
- Gaetano "Tommy" DeVito (1928-2020), American musician and singer, founding member, vocalist, and lead guitarist of rock band the Four Seasons, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990 and the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 1999
- Mike DeVito (b. 1984), American football nose tackle and defensive end
- Lucy Chet DeVito (b. 1983), American actress
- Tony DeVito (b. 1972), American professional wrestler
- Karla Jayne DeVito (b. 1953), American singer, actress and voice artist
- John Able DeVito, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1972 
- Anthony J. DeVito, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 25th District, 1968, 1970 
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html