Desmarais History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Desmarais surname is a habitational name derived from any of several places named with the Old French words "mareis" or "maresc", meaning "marsh".
Early Origins of the Desmarais family
The surname Desmarais was first found in Cambray, Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where ancestors of the family belonged to the house of Bousis. According to Arthurian legend, Sir Hector de Maris (or Ector de Maris), was a Knight of the Round Table, younger half-brother of Lancelot and the natural son of King Ban of Benwick and the Lady de Maris.
René Desmarais, son of Jean and Jeanne (née Brassard), travelled from Poitou, France to the New World in the 17th century. He married Jeanne Blondeau at Trois-Rivières, Quebec on 16th November 1671. 
Early History of the Desmarais family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Desmarais research. Another 297 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1096, 1113, 1108, 1429, 1360, 1682, 1519, 1567, 1518, 1604, 1696, 1500, 1696, 1108, 1595, 1676, 1648, 1721, 1604, 1686, 1648, 1721, 1662, 1714, 1647, 1709, 1656 and 1728 are included under the topic Early Desmarais History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Desmarais Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Desmarais, Demarais, Des Marais, Desmarets, Desmarés, Desmareys, Desmaray, Desmaraie, Desmarest, Desmaret, Desmarets, Démarais, Démarets, Démarey, Démareys, Démarés, Démarey, Démaré, Démarés, Démarée, Démarées, Démaraie, Démaray, Maret, Marest, Marais, Mareys, Marets, Marest, Mares, Marays, Marrey, Mareys, Marées, Des Marest, Des Maret, Des Marets, Des Marez, De Marest, Du Marest, Du Marais, Du Marrey, Du Mareys, Du Mares, Du Marays, Du Mareys, Du Marées and many more.
Early Notables of the Desmarais family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family in this period was Baldwin I, Lord of Marets in the 11th century, as well as Hugues Maret, the first Priest at the Benedictine Abbey of Valbenoite, in 1108. Jean Desmarets (1595-1676), Sieur de (Lord of) Saint-Sorlin was the author of many volumes of poetry and critical works, as well as the first chancellor and co-founder of the Académie Française; Nicolas Desmarets, known as the Marquis de Maillebois (1648-1721)...
Another 72 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Desmarais Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Desmarais migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Desmarais Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ozine Desmarais, who arrived in Minnesota in 1871
- Louis Desmarais, aged 52, who landed in America, in 1896
Desmarais Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louis Desmarais, aged 63, who immigrated to America from Paris, in 1906
- Seph Desmarais, aged 43, who landed in America, in 1908
- Rene Eugene Desmarais, aged 21, who immigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1912
- Sephora Desmarais, aged 60, who settled in America from Paris, France, in 1914
- Joseph N. Desmarais, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1918
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Desmarais migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Desmarais Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Charles Desmarais, 38, who arrived in Canada in 1643
- Charles Desmarais, aged 38, who landed in Canada in 1643
- Pierre Desmarais, who was on record in Montreal in 1660
Desmarais Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- P.N. Desmarais, aged 36, who immigrated to Sorel, Canada, in 1913
Contemporary Notables of the name Desmarais (post 1700) +
- Paul Desmarais Sr (1927-2013), Canadian financier born in Sudbury, Ontario, one of the ten richest people in Canada, chairman and chief executive officer of Power Corporation of Canada
- Charles Desmarais (b. 1949), American Art Critic for the San Francisco Chronicle, recipient of the 2017 Rabkin Prize for Visual Arts Journalism
- Roland G. Desmarais, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1964; Mayor of Fall River, Massachusetts, 1964-67 
- Octave O. Desmarais, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1948 
- Albert Desmarais, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate in primary for New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Manchester 13th Ward, 1938 
- Odilon Desmarais KC (1854-1904), French Canadian lawyer, judge and politician, Member of the Canadian Parliament for St. James (1896-1901)
- Ludger Desmarais, Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman from Sudbury who played from 1926 to 1939
- James Desmarais (b. 1979), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- André Desmarais OC, OQ (b. 1956), Canadian businessman, son of Paul Desmarais, Sr
- Paul Desmarais Jr. OC, OQ (b. 1954), Canadian businessman, Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer of Power Corporation of Canada, eldest son of Paul Desmarais Sr
- ... (Another 5 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +