100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Desmarais surname is a habitational name derived from any of several places named with the Old French words "mareis," or "maresc," meaning "marsh."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Desmarais, Demarais, Des Marais, Desmarets, Desmarés, Desmareys, Desmaray, Desmaraie, Desmarest, Desmaret, Desmarets, Démarais, Démarets, Démarey, Démareys, Démarés, Démarey, Démaré, Démarés, Démarée, Démarées, Démaraie, Démaray, Maret, Marest, Marais, Mareys, Marets, Marest, Mares, Marays, Marrey, Mareys, Marées, Des Marest, Des Maret, Des Marets, Des Marez, De Marest, Du Marest, Du Marais, Du Marrey, Du Mareys, Du Mares, Du Marays, Du Mareys, Du Marées and many more.
First found in Cambray, Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where ancestors of the family belonged to the house of Bousis.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Desmarais research. Another 593 words (42 lines of text) covering the years 1096, 1113, 1108, 1429, 1360, 1682, 1519, 1567, 1518, 1604, 1696, 1500, 1696, 1108, 1595, 1676, 1648, 1721, 1604, 1686, 1648, 1721, 1662, 1714, 1647, 1709, 1656 and 1728 are included under the topic Early Desmarais History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 273 words (20 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Desmarais Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Desmarais Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ozine Desmarais, who arrived in Minnesota in 1871
- Louis Desmarais, aged 52, who landed in America, in 1896
Desmarais Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louis Desmarais, aged 63, who emigrated to America from Paris, in 1906
- Seph Desmarais, aged 43, who landed in America, in 1908
- Rene Eugene Desmarais, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1912
- Sephora Desmarais, aged 60, who settled in America from Paris, France, in 1914
- Joseph N. Desmarais, aged 25, who settled in America, in 1918
Desmarais Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Charles Desmarais, 38, who arrived in Canada in 1643
- Charles Desmarais, aged 38, landed in Canada in 1643
- Pierre Desmarais, who was on record in Montreal in 1660
Desmarais Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- P.N. Desmarais, aged 36, who emigrated to Sorel, Canada, in 1913
- Paul Desmarais Sr (1927-2013), Canadian financier in Montreal, one of the ten richest people in Canada
- Lorraine Desmarais (b. 1956), Canadian jazz pianist
- Pierre DesMarais, Canadian politician and a city councillor in Montreal
- France Chrétien Desmarais, Canadian lawyer and businesswoman
- Marcel-Marie Desmarais (1908-1994), Canadian writer
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Desmarais Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Desmarais Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 November 2015 at 03:14.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!