Noble surnames, such as Derosier, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the French people. The original bearer of the name Derosier, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Savoie
. In France, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate while names of larger areas usually indicated a former dweller or a very powerful, titled landholder. The Derosier family originally lived in the province of Savoie.
Early Origins of the Derosier family
The surname Derosier was first found in Savoy (French: Savoie) in the Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps, where this eminent family held a family seat
since ancient times.
Early History of the Derosier family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Derosier research.Another 263 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1368, 1565, and 1580 are included under the topic Early Derosier History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Derosier Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Desrosiers, des Rosiers, des Rosier, Desrosiés, Rosiere, Rosieres, Rossieres, Rossiere, Rosier and many more.
Early Notables of the Derosier family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Derosier Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Derosier family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Derosier Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Eugene Derosier, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1918
- William H. Derosier, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1920
- Joseph Derosier, aged 27, who emigrated to America, in 1921
Derosier Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Derosier, aged 30, who settled in Montreal, in 1904
Contemporary Notables of the name Derosier (post 1700)
- William N. DeRosier (b. 1897), American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bristol, 1921-22 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Bernard Derosier (b. 1939), French member of the National Assembly of France
- Jacob "Jake" DeRosier (1880-1913), Canadian motorcycle racer who rode for Indian Motocycle and later Excelsior, the fastest rider in the United States in the early 1900s