Denoon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The old family name Denoon is thought to have derived from the place name Dunoon (Dunomhainn in Gaelic), located in Argyll and Bute
, on the Firth of Clyde.
Early Origins of the Denoon family
The surname Denoon was first found in Ross-shire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Rois) a former county, now part of the Council Areas of Highland and Western Isles in Northern Scotland
, which emerged from the Gaelic lordship of the Earl of Ross. Today Dunoon is a town situated on the Cowal Peninsula in Argyll and Bute
but was originally a barony in Argyllshire
Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
Early History of the Denoon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Denoon research.Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1606, 1255, 1265 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Denoon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Denoon Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Denoon, Dennin, Denning, Denune, Dunnoon, Dunoon, Denoone and many more.
Early Notables of the Denoon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Denoon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Denoon family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Denoon Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Denoon, who was on record in Georgia in 1736
- David Denoon, who was naturalized in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1784
Denoon Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Denoon, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1832
- Hugh Denoon, age 90, who was on record in Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1836
- Catherine Denoon, who settled in Pictou, Nova Scotia in 1838
Contemporary Notables of the name Denoon (post 1700)
- Daniel J DeNoon, American senior medical writer for WebMD
- Donald Denoon, Australian Emeritus Professor and Visiting Fellow, Division of Pacific and Asian History
Denoon Family Crest Products
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)