100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Today's Irish surnames are underpinned by a multitude of rich histories. The name Dempsey originally appeared in Gaelic as O Diomasaigh, from the word "diomasach," which means "proud."
The surname Dempsey was first found in King's County and Queen's County, where they were traditional Chiefs of Calnmaliere, a territory that lay on both sides of the river Barrow. It contained parts of Geashill and Phillipstown in Kings County and parts of Portnehinch in Queen's County. They claim descent through the O'Connors of Offaly
, specifically the 2nd century Irish King, Cathair Mor. 
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name Dempsey revealed many variations, including Dempsey, O'Dempsey, Dempsy, Dempsay, Dempsie and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Dempsey research. Another 573 words (41 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1193, 1652 and 1865 are included under the topic Early Dempsey History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Dempsey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
The 19th century saw a great wave of Irish families
for the distant shores of North America and Australia
. These families often left their homeland hungry, penniless, and destitute do to the policies of England
. Those Irish immigrants that survived the long sea passage initially settled on the eastern seaboard of the continent. Some, however, moved north to a then infant Canada as United Empire Loyalists after ironically serving with the English in the American War of Independence
. Others that remained in America later joined the westward migration in search of land. The greatest influx of Irish immigrants, though, came to North America during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s. Thousands left Ireland
at this time for North America, and those who arrived were immediately put to work building railroads, coal mines, bridges, and canals. In fact, the foundations of today's powerful nations of the United Sates and Canada were to a larger degree built by the Irish. Archival documents indicate that members of the Dempsey family relocated to North American shores quite early:
Dempsey Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Capt. Dempsey, who landed in Georgia in 1741
- Ann Dempsey, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1753
Dempsey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Dempsey, aged 18, landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Mary Dempsey, aged 14, landed in New York in 1810
- Edward Dempsey settled in New York in 1810
- Francis Dempsey, who arrived in New York in 1810
- Catherine Dempsey, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
Dempsey Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Thomas Dempsey U.E. who settled in Canada c. 1784
Dempsey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- William Dempsey, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1820
- James Dempsey, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Hibernia" from Kinsale
- Norry Dempsey, aged 26, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Hibernia" from Kinsale
- James Dempsey, aged 1, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Hibernia" from Kinsale
- John Dempsey, aged 11, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Hibernia" from Kinsale
Dempsey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Dennis Dempsey, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Mary Ann Dempsey, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on December 14, 1835, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- Judith Dempsey, aged 18, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Bridget Dempsey, aged 20, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- Andrew Dempsey, aged 26, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
Dempsey Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Dempsey, aged 25, a saddler, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oliver Lang" in 1856
- William Dempsey, aged 23, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1873
- Patrick Dempsey, aged 19, a servant, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Partick Dempsey, aged 32, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "India" in 1875
- Mary Dempsey, aged 29, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "India" in 1875
- Sandy Dempsey (d. 1975), American actress, known for The Chaperone (1974), The Black Alley Cats (1973) and Teenage Innocence (1973)
- Lisa Dempsey (b. 1964), American stunt-woman, known for her work on Titanic (1997), Minority Report (2002) and Jurassic World (2015)
- General Martin E. Dempsey (b. 1952), USA American Army officer, 18th and current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Clint Dempsey (b. 1983), American soccer player from Nacogdoches, Texas
- Thomas "Tom" Dempsey (b. 1947), former American NFL football placekicker
- Jack Dempsey (1895-1983), American boxer who held the world heavyweight title from 1919 to 1926, inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame
- Patrick Galen Dempsey (b. 1966), American Golden Globe Award and Emmy Award nominated actor
- Donald Dempsey (1932-2005), American recording executive
- Ian Michael Dempsey (b. 1961), Irish presenter of television and breakfast radio
- Girvan Dempsey (b. 1975), Irish retired rugby union footballer
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Dempsey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Dempsey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 May 2016 at 22:38.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!