Early Origins of the Della porta family
The surname Della porta was first found in Vicenza, anciently known as Vicetia, a town in Venetia, capital of the province of Vicenza. It was conquered by the Venetians in 1405. It has many beautiful palaces and churches, galleries and museums. The cathedral is Gothic. The original church SS.Felice e Fortunato was built in 975 but has been much altered. It is notable for its development painters, architects, sculptors and scholars. Natives were Trissino, Palladio, Pigafetta, Fogazzaro, Mantegna, Montagna, Speranza, Scamozzi and Buoncosiglio.In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Della porta family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Della porta research.Another 94 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1533, 1602, 1515, 1577, 1500, 1577, 1535 and 1615 are included under the topic Early Della porta History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Della porta Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Delporto, Della Porta, Porto, Porta, de Porto and others.
Early Notables of the Della porta family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giacomo della Porta (c.
1533-1602), an Italian architect and sculptor, who worked on many important buildings in Rome, including St. Peter's Basilica. Guglielmo Della Porta (1515-1577) was an Italian sculptor and Guglielmo della Porta... Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Della porta Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Della porta family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Della porta Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Domenico Dellaporta, aged 15, who landed in America from Palombasa, in 1901
- Benedetto dellaPorta, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Aguino, in 1902
- Enrico Dellaporta, aged 25, who emigrated to America, in 1903
- Giovanni Dellaporta, aged 24, who landed in America from Broni, Pavia, in 1911
Contemporary Notables of the name Della porta (post 1700)
- Glauco Della Porta (1920-1976), Italian politician and economist, Mayor of Rome (1962-1964)
- Donatella della Porta (b. 1956), Italian political scientist, Professor of political science and political sociology at the European University Institute
- Sophia Dellaporta (b. 1850), Greek composer