Defilippo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Italian surname Defilippo is a patronymic name created from the first name of a male ancestor. As a first name, it is derived from the Latin "Philippus," which is in turn derived from the Greek "Philipp•s." This name is composed of the element "philos" which means "friend," and "hippos," meaning "horse." Thus the surname literally means "son of one who is a lover of horses." This name became common throughout Europe due to several saints and monarchs who bore the name.
Early Origins of the Defilippo family
The surname Defilippo was first found in the ancient city of Arcevia, where a record from 1238 showed a Corrado di Filippino, who owned Castle Montesecco.
Early History of the Defilippo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Defilippo research. Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1625, 1457, 1574, 1536, 1602, 1830 and 1859 are included under the topic Early Defilippo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Defilippo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Filippi, Filippo, Filippa, Filpo, Filpi, Firpo, Filippino, Filipi, Filipucci, Filipipi, Firpi, De Filippo, De Filippi, De Filippis, Di Filippo, Filipovich, Filipcic, Filippelli, Filippello, Filippetti, Filippini, Filippucci, Filippozzi, Filipponi, Filippone, Filippazzo, Filippaz, Filipaz, Filipas, Filippanio, Filippato and many more.
Early Notables of the Defilippo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Fra Filippo Lippi, a famous Florentine painter of the 15th century. He was influenced by Massaccio, and painted much for the Medici family, the rulers at the time. Another famous painter was Filippino Lippi, born in Prato in 1457, who worked in Florence under Botticelli and has works today in London, Florence, and around the United States.
Camillo Filippi (died 1574) was an Italian painter who flourished about the middle of the 16th century. His son, Sebastiano Filippi (c. 1536-1602) was an Italian late Renaissance - Mannerist painter of the School of Ferrara.
Another 100 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Defilippo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Defilippo is the 15,211st most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Defilippo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Defilippo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- F. DeFilippo, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1902
- Antonio DeFilippo, aged 26, who immigrated to America from Vico Garganico, Italy, in 1907
- Angelo DeFilippo, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Saruso, Salerno, Italy, in 1909
- Antonia Defilippo, aged 11, who landed in America from Carlentini, Italy, in 1909
- Almerindo DeFilippo, aged 24, who settled in America from Cintella, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Defilippo (post 1700) +
- John DeFilippo (b. 1978), American football coach for the Oakland Raiders
- Charlotte DeFilippo, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1996, 2000, 2004 
- Luca De Filippo (1948-2015), Italian actor and director of theatre
Related Stories +