Defilippi History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Italian surname Defilippi is a patronymic name created from the first name of a male ancestor. As a first name, it is derived from the Latin "Philippus," which is in turn derived from the Greek "Philipp•s." This name is composed of the element "philos" which means "friend," and "hippos," meaning "horse." Thus the surname literally means "son of one who is a lover of horses." This name became common throughout Europe due to several saints and monarchs who bore the name.
Early Origins of the Defilippi family
The surname Defilippi was first found in the ancient city of Arcevia, where a record from 1238 showed a Corrado di Filippino, who owned Castle Montesecco.
Important Dates for the Defilippi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Defilippi research. Another 72 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1625, 1457, 1574, 1536, 1602, 1830 and 1859 are included under the topic Early Defilippi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Defilippi Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Filippi, Filippo, Filippa, Filpo, Filpi, Firpo, Filippino, Filipi, Filipucci, Filipipi, Firpi, De Filippo, De Filippi, De Filippis, Di Filippo, Filipovich, Filipcic, Filippelli, Filippello, Filippetti, Filippini, Filippucci, Filippozzi, Filipponi, Filippone, Filippazzo, Filippaz, Filipaz, Filipas, Filippanio, Filippato and many more.
Early Notables of the Defilippi family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Fra Filippo Lippi, a famous Florentine painter of the 15th century. He was influenced by Massaccio, and painted much for the Medici family, the rulers at the time. Another famous painter was Filippino Lippi, born in Prato in 1457, who worked in Florence under Botticelli and has works today in London, Florence, and around the United States.
Camillo Filippi (died 1574) was an Italian painter who flourished about the middle of the 16th century. His son, Sebastiano Filippi (c. 1536-1602) was an Italian late Renaissance - Mannerist painter of the School of Ferrara.
Another 100 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Defilippi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Defilippi family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Johannes Filipipi, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1750; John Fillipelli, who came to New York, NY in 1896; as well as Frank Fillipello, and his wife Annie, who arrived in Louisiana between the years 1903 and 1910..
Contemporary Notables of the name Defilippi (post 1700)
- Amadeus de Filippi, American composer and conductor, born in Italy, who arrived in the United States at age 5
- Walter A. DeFilippi, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1988 
- Ludovico De Filippi (1872-1918), Italian naval officer and aerial pioneer, the first Head Officer of the submarine and aviation department of the Regia Marina; he died when his scout cruiser Cesare Rossarol struck a mine and sank
- Maria De Filippi (b. 1961), Italian television host, owner of the television production company Fascino PGT
- Filippo de Filippi (1814-1867), Italian physician, traveler and zoologist from Pavia; he died from dysentery and liver problems in Hong Kong while attempting to circumnavigate the globe
- José María De Filippi (b. 1982), Argentine footballer
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html