Deeks History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient Scottish name Deeks was first used by the Strathclyde-Briton people of the Scottish/English Borderlands. The original bearer of the name lived in Dutton, Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Deeks family
The surname Deeks was first found in Cumberland, where one reference claims "the name, originally 'Del Dykes,' is derived from the two lines of Roman wall in 'Burgh,' from whence the family at a remote period originated." 
Ramerus de Dikes, who lived before the reign of Henry II is the supposed ancestor of the family. The family held estates at Dovenby, in the parish of Bridekirk.
Early History of the Deeks family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deeks research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1207, 1272, 1301, 1379, 1421, 1471, 1457, 1509, 1600, 1649, 1630, 1685, 1765, 1619, 1669, 1660, 1666, 1650, 1706, 1685, 1689, 1700, 1756, 1614, 1617, 1688, 1620, 1761, 1847 and 1761 are included under the topic Early Deeks History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deeks Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Dyke, Dykes, Dike, Dikes and others.
Early Notables of the Deeks family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Sir Thomas Dyke (1619-1669), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1660 to 1666; Sir Thomas Dyke, 1st Baronet (c. 1650-1706), an English politician, Member of Parliament for Sussex (1685-1689); Sir Thomas Dyke, 2nd Baronet (c. 1700-1756); Leonard Dykes, Sheriff of Cumberland.
Daniel Dyke (d. 1614), was an English Puritan divine, born at...
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Deeks Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Deeks family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Branches of the family, who settled at Plymouth, Newton, and Bridgewater, Massachusetts, from about the year 1640 onwards.
Contemporary Notables of the name Deeks (post 1700) +
- Donald Philip "Don" Deeks (1923-1995), American NFL football offensive lineman
- John "Deeksie" Deeks (b. 1951), Australian television presenter and voice-over artist
- Barbara Ann Deeks (b. 1937), English actress, best known for her part in the "Carry On" films
Historic Events for the Deeks family +
HMS Royal Oak
- M. Deeks, British Leading Signalman with the Royal Navy aboard the HMS Royal Oak when she was torpedoed by U-47 and sunk; he survived the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Ships hit by U-boats crew list HMS Royal Oak (08) - (Retrieved 2018 February, 9th) - retrieved from https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/crews/ship68.html