Deatherage History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Among the earliest people to bear the Deatherage name were the Deatherage family, who lived in the town of Ath in Belgium. There it would have been rendered D'Ath, or De Ath, meaning "from Ath." It was also occasionally an occupational name for a gatherer or seller of kindling. In this case, the name is derived from the Old English word "dethe," which in turn is derived from the Old English word "dyth," which means "fuel" or "tinder." Occupational names frequently were derived from the principal object associated with the activity of the original bearer, such as tools or products. These types of occupational surnames are called metonymic surnames.
Early Origins of the Deatherage family
The surname Deatherage was first found in Kent where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the Deatherage family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Deatherage research. Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1196 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Deatherage History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deatherage Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Deathridge, Deatheridge, Deatherage, Deatheredge and many more.
Early Notables of the Deatherage family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Deatherage Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Deatherage family to Ireland
Some of the Deatherage family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Deatherage migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Deatherage Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Buckner F. Deatherage, aged 49, who immigrated to Kansas City, Missouri in 1909
- Dorothy Deatherage, aged 17, who immigrated to Kansas City, Missouri in 1909
- Georgis W. Deatherage, aged 43, who settled in America, in 1912
- Dorothy Deatherage, aged 19, who immigrated to the United States, in 1912
- Margarita Deatherage, aged 55, who immigrated to the United States, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Deatherage (post 1700)
- George E. Deatherage (1893-1965), American political activist and speech writer
- Scott Deatherage, American Professor at Northwestern University School of Communication (2004)
- J Hal Deatherage, American Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Tennessee
- Todd Deatherage, American musician and songwriter
- Milton Deatherage, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1920 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 1) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html