De leeuw History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the De leeuw family
The surname De leeuw was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the De leeuw family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De leeuw research. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De leeuw History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De leeuw Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Leeuw, Leeuwe, Leeuwes, Leeuws, Leeuwez, Leeuwz, Leuwe, Leuwes, de Leeuw and many more.
Early Notables of the De leeuw family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early De leeuw Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the De leeuw family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Adriana De Leeuw who settled in Iowa in 1849.
Contemporary Notables of the name De leeuw (post 1700) +
- Karel de Leeuw (d. 1978), American mathematician at Stanford University, specializing in harmonic analysis
- Leopold DeLeeuw, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Hartford, 1902 
- Paul de Leeuw (b. 1962), Dutch television comedian, singer and actor
- Dianne de Leeuw (b. 1955), Dutch Olympic figure skater
- Reinbert de Leeuw (b. 1938), Dutch conductor, composer, and keyboard player
Related Stories +