De jonge History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The De jonge surname comes from the Middle Dutch words "de jonc," meaning "the young," a term used to denote the younger of two bearers of the same name, usually a son who bore the same name as his father, which later became a hereditary surname.
Early Origins of the De jonge family
The surname De jonge was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the De jonge family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De jonge research. Another 118 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1821, 1831, 1709, 1569, 1632, 1635, 1714, 1609 and 1647 are included under the topic Early De jonge History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De jonge Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Jong, Jonge, Jonges, Jongg, Jonng, Joong, Joonge, Jonggs, Jongges, de Jong, van Jong and many more.
Early Notables of the De jonge family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De jonge Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De jonge Ranking
In Netherlands, the name De jonge is the 50th most popular surname with an estimated 15,508 people with that name. 
De jonge migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
De jonge Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cornelis DeJonge, aged 29, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
- Cornelius DeJonge, aged 9, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Jan DeJonge, aged 6, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
- Peter DeJonge, aged 3, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Petemella Steketee DeJonge, aged 27, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name De jonge (post 1700) +
- Olivia DeJonge, Australian West Australian Screen Award wining actress, known for The Visit (2015), Good Pretender (2011) and The Sisterhood of Night (2014)
- Brendon de Jonge (b. 1980), professional PGA golfer from Zimbabwe
- Frederik "Freek" Jan Georg de Jonge (b. 1944), Dutch cabaret performer, singer, comedian and blogger
- Jan de Jonge (b. 1963), retired Dutch football striker
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)