De almeida History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname De almeida is of local
origin, that is, it is a surname derived from the place of origin of the initial bearer. In this case, the surname is derived from one of several places so named in Portugal (northeast area). The name is derived from the Arabic words "al ma'ida," meaning a plateau. One of the earliest records of the surname is that of one Jose Fernandez de Almeida who founded a town of the same name in 1258.
Early Origins of the De almeida family
The surname De almeida was first found in the town of Viseu, which is today known as Mangualde, a municipality in the subregion of Dão-Lafões in the central region of Portugal. Jose Fernandez de Almeida founded Azurara of Beira from 1223-1245. He was the 5th Lord of Pinheiro and Canela. The village of Almeida in the seventeenth century came to be called Almeidinha. One of the most notable of the name at this time was D. Francisco de Almeida, Viceroy.
Early History of the De almeida family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our De almeida research.Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1223, 1245, 1480, 1508, 1450, 1510, 1480, 1508, 1580, 1646, 1722 and 1752 are included under the topic Early De almeida History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
De almeida Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the De almeida family (pre 1700)
Prominent members of the family include Lourenço de Almeida (c.1480-1508), a Portuguese explorer and military commander; Dom Francisco de Almeida (c.1450-1510), better known as "the Great Dom Francisco", he was a Portuguese nobleman, soldier and explorer; Lourenço de... Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early De almeida Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the De almeida family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
De almeida Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Antonio Robin DeAlmeida, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1830 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name De almeida (post 1700)
- Joaquim António Portugal Baptista de Almeida (b. 1957), Portuguese-American three-time Portuguese Golden Globe Award winning actor
- Francisco de Almeida (1450-1510), Portuguese soldier
- Brites de Almeida, legendary Portuguese heroine
- Manuel de Almeida (1831-1861), Brazilian author of what is now considered to be the first great novel in Brazilian literature, "Memoirs of a Militia Sergeant"
- António de Almeida Santos (b. 1926), Portuguese politician
- Antonio de Almeida e Costa (b. 1932), Portuguese naval officer and politician
- Antonio de Almeida (1928-1997), French conductor
- António José de Almeida GCTE, GCA, GCC, GCSE (1866-1929), Portuguese politician, sixth President of Portugal from 1919 until 1923
- Kaio Márcio de Almeida (b. 1984), Brazilian gold, silver and three-time bronze medalist swimmer
- Almir Nelson de Almeida (1923-1977), Brazilian basketball player at the 1952 Summer Olympics
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
De almeida Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)