Damson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Damson family
The surname Damson was first found in Yorkshire where Ralph Damisel, Dameisele was listed in the Pipe Rolls of 1191 and 1204. Again in 1204, Henry Damisel was recorded in the Pipe Rolls for Gloucestershire. A few years later, Roger Damisele was recorded in the Curia Regis Rolls for Berkshire in 1214. 
"This surname is derived from a nickname. 'the damsel'; Old French damoisel, a young squire or page." 
The Hundredorum Rolls for 1273 had only one listing, that of Simon Damsell in Buckinghamshire while the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 had two: Johannes Damysell; and Robertas Damsell. 
Early History of the Damson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Damson research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1535, 1553, 1553, 1555, 1553, 1582 and 1685 are included under the topic Early Damson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Damson Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Damsel, Damisell, Damsell, Damysell, Densell and others.
Early Notables of the Damson family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir William Damsell, who was knighted on October 2nd, 1553 at Westminster at the Coronation of Queen Mary in the presence of the Queen by the Earl of Arundel who was commissioned to knight those present. He was Receiver-General of the Court of Wards and Liveries and a Member of Parliament. His family hailed from Devon and he was first elected in the House of Commons of England as a member for Wilton in 1553, and in 1555 returned to represent Arundel. In 1553...
Another 89 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Damson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Damson migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Damson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jon Damson, who arrived in Virginia in 1642 
Damson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johann Samuel Damson, who landed in America in 1733 
- Johann Gottlieb Damson, who arrived in America in 1734 
- Jacob Damson, who landed in America in 1744 
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)