Damiani History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the ancient and picturesque Italian region of Venice emerged a variety of distinguished names, including the notable surname Damiani. Although the most traditional type of family name found in the region of Venice is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, local surnames are also found. Local names, which are the least frequent of the major types of surnames found in Italy, are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility. The Damiani surname is derived from the Latin given name "Damianus," which in turn comes from the name of a Greek goddess, Damia. There was an early Christian saint named Damian, martyred in Cilicia in the year 303, under emperor Domitian. There was also a St. Damian, who lived in the 7th-8th centuries, where he was the bishop of Pavia. These two saints, no doubt have contributed the popularity of this name.
Early Origins of the Damiani family
The surname Damiani was first found in the Italian region of "Veneto" which later became the city of Venice as early as the year 921.
Early History of the Damiani family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Damiani research. Another 33 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1233, 1285, 1300, 1400, 1584 and 1606 are included under the topic Early Damiani History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Damiani Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations. The recorded spellings of Damiani include Damiani, Damiano, Damian, Damien, Damiàn and others.
Early Notables of the Damiani family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Lorenzo Damiani of Pisa, a 14th century poet famous for his sonnets of a smooth style. Francesco Damiani, born in Pisa around 1300, was a respected man of letters; the Damiani family was one of the most ancient families in Genoa and dates back to...
Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Damiani Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Damiani migration to the United States +
Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Damiani or a variant listed above:
Damiani Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Riccardo Damiani, of Genova, who arrived in New York on November 17, 1884 aboard the "Brittania"
- Pietro Damiani, who arrived in New York on June 2, 1891 from Naples, aboard the "Cachemire"
Contemporary Notables of the name Damiani (post 1700) +
- Vincent D. Damiani, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1948; Justice of New York Supreme Court 2nd District; Elected 1964 
- Simon Damiani (b. 1857), American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Bastia, 1886-1918 
- B. Fred Damiani (1910-1969), American Democrat politician, Member of Connecticut State Senate 11th District, 1945-46 
- Anna Damiani, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2004 
- Paolo Damiani (b. 1952), Italian jazz cellist and double-bassist
- Luciano Damiani (1923-2007), Italian stage and costume designer, best known as the designer of the sets and costumes for the 1972 film, Man of La Mancha
- Francesco Damiani (b. 1958), Italian two-time gold and silver medalist boxer
- Enrico Grassi Damiani, Italian founder of Damiani, an Italian jewelry company in 1924
- Damiano Damiani (1922-2013), Italian screenwriter, film director, actor and writer
- Giuseppe "Oscar" Damiani (b. 1950), Italian former professional footballer
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +