Norman Conquest of Ireland lead by Strongbow introduced the first non-Gaelic elements into Irish nomenclature. The surname Cunerforthy came to Ireland from England at that time. It came originally from the name of a village in Staffordshire, and as such belongs to the category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Cunerforthy family
Kent, England before making its way to Ireland. The name has become almost nonexistent in England. There are Domesday references to the surname in Kent. Later, just over a century later the name moved to Oxfordshire, and Staffordshire, where there is a village of Comerford. In the year 1210, soon after the invasion of Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke, in 1172, the Comerfords were granted land in Kilkenny and Wexford, in Ireland. The family is listed as 'New Settlers' who joined Strongbow and got large grants of land in the County of Wexford.
Early History of the Cunerforthy family
Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1599, 1558, 1604, 1585, 1586, 1625, 1652, 1762 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Cunerforthy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cunerforthy Spelling Variations
spelling variations were encountered, including: Comerford, Comfort, Comport, Comberford, Cummerford, Cumerford, Commerford, Cumfort, Cumport, Comfurt, Compart, Cumberford and many more.
Early Notables of the Cunerforthy family (pre 1700)
Waterford, religious scholar and lecturer, who was the first of sixteen Jesuits of the name; Gerald, Gerard or Garrett Comerford (c.1558-1604), an Irish barrister, judge and statesman who sat in...
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cunerforthy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cunerforthy family to the New World and Oceana
Ireland's Great Potato Famine left the country's inhabitants in extreme poverty and starvation. Many families left their homeland for North America for the promise of work, freedom and land ownership. Although the Irish were not free of economic and racial discrimination in North America, they did contribute greatly to the rapid development of bridges, canals, roads, and railways. Eventually, they would be accepted in other areas such as commerce, education, and the arts. An examination of immigration and passenger lists revealed many bearing the name Cunerforthy: James Comerford, who settled in America in 1764; Frederic Comerford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804; followed by John in 1828; Kehone in 1871.
The Cunerforthy Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: So ho ho dea ne
Motto Translation: God will perform it.
Cunerforthy Family Crest Products