on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Crosthwait family come from? What is the Scottish Crosthwait family crest and coat of arms? When did the Crosthwait family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Crosthwait family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Crossthwaite, Crosthwaite, Crosswaith, Crosswaite and others.
First found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Crosthwait research. Another 137 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Crosthwait History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Crosthwait Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Crosthwait family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 235 words(17 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Edward and James Crossthwaith settled in New York in 1820.
- Timothy Crosthwait, Diplomat
- David Crosthwait (1898-1976), American mechanical and electrical engineer, inventor, and writer
- Robert Crosthwait (b. 1952), American professional football player
- Irwin Crosthwait (1914-1981), Canadian painter
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Crosthwait Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Crosthwait Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 July 2012 at 13:33.
on orders of $85 or more