on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Cropper family come from? What is the English Cropper family crest and coat of arms? When did the Cropper family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Cropper family history?The name Cropper comes from one of the family having worked as a mower, or field laborer. The surname Cropper was originally derived from the Old English word cropp, which means cut, which was quite common in Lancashire.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Cropper have been found, including: Cropper, Crowper, Crapper and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cropper research. Another 234 words(17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cropper History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 27 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cropper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Cropper, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were :
Cropper Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gilbert Cropper, who came to Maryland in 1668
- John Cropper, who arrived in Maryland in 1680
- John Cropper, who landed in Maryland in 1680
Cropper Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Cropper, a bonded passenger, who came to Maryland in 1722
- Robert Cropper, who came to Virginia in 1740
Cropper Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- V Cropper, aged 22, arrived in America in 1822
- Elisha J. Cropper, who settled in Galveston, TX in 1839
- Mr. Cropper, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Henry, John, Lomax, and Thomas Cropper, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1848 to 1866
Cropper Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Rebecca Cropper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Simlah" in 1849
- Jane Cropper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Simlah" in 1849
- James Cropper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Simlah" in 1849
- John Cropper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Simlah" in 1849
Cropper Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Eli Cropper landed in Nelson, New Zealand in 1842
- Jason Cropper (b. 1971), American musician, guitarist for Weezer
- Steve Cropper (b. 1941), American guitarist for Booker T and the MGs, and a music producer
- Anton Cropper, American television director and producer
- William Cropper (1862-1889), English cricketer and football player
- Dene Cropper (b. 1983), former professional footballer
- James Cropper (1823-1900), English Liberal politician
- Anna Cropper (1938-2007), British stage and television actress
- John Cropper (1797-1876), British philanthropist and abolitionist
- Linda Cropper, Australian television actress
- Sir James Anthony Cropper (b. 1938), the current British Lord-Lieutenant of Cumbria
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
The Cropper Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Cropper Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 December 2013 at 07:41.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more