Cotto History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Cotto family
The surname Cotto was first found in Scotton at various villages so named throughout England. They include: Scotton, a village and civil parish in Lincolnshire, where the 2001 census lists a population of 531; Scotton, a village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire; and Scotton, a village and civil parish in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire. Accordingly, Yorkshire is the most likely place from where the surname originates. As far as the Scottow variant, Scottow is a village and civil parish in Norfolk.
Early History of the Cotto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cotto research. Another 44 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1177, 1250, 1618, 1698, 1634, 1639, 1639 and 1699 are included under the topic Early Cotto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cotto Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Scottow, Scottau, Scottaugh and others.
Early Notables of the Cotto family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Joshua Scottow (1618-1698) English born, colonial American merchant and author of two histories of early New England. "He seems to have come of a Suffolk family and went out to Massachusetts with his widowed mother, Thomasina Scottow, about 1634. He was admitted a member of...
Another 53 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cotto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Cotto is the 5,713rd most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Cotto family to Ireland
Some of the Cotto family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 63 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Cotto migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Cotto Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Presilla Cotto, who landed in Virginia in 1665 
Cotto Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Miguel De Cotto, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1838 
Cotto Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carlo Cotto, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1902
- Antonio Cotto, aged 28, who settled in America, in 1903
- Biagio Cotto, who immigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Paolo Antonio Cotto, aged 27, who settled in America, in 1906
- Guiseppe Cotto, aged 21, who landed in America from Asti, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Cotto (post 1700) ||+|
- Delilah Cotto (b. 1970), Puerto Rican-American dancer, model, television and film actress
- Henry Cotto (b. 1961), American retired Major League Baseball outfielder
- Carlos Omar Cotto Cruz (b. 1980), Puerto Rican professional wrestler
- José Miguel Cotto Vázquez (b. 1977), Puerto Rican professional boxer
- Miguel Ángel Cotto Vázquez (b. 1980), Puerto Rican professional boxer
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)