100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the German Coss family come from? What is the German Coss family crest and coat of arms? When did the Coss family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Coss family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Koss, Kosa, Kus, Kusiak, Kosik, Kosinski, Koscielski, Koskela and many more.
First found in Mecklenburg, where the Koss family contributed greatly to the development of an emerging nation, and would later play a large role in the tribal and national conflicts of the area. Over time, the Koss family name branched into other houses, where their influence continued to be felt because of the important role they played in the local social and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coss research. Another 126 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coss History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Coss Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Coss Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Coss, who arrived in Maryland in 1637
- John Coss, who landed in Virginia in 1639
- James Coss, who landed in Virginia in 1657
Coss Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Coss, who settled in Connecticut in 1841
- William Coss, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States, in 1893
- Josif Coss, aged 19, who landed in America from Lobrie, in 1899
Coss Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Susan Coss, aged 45, who landed in America from Plymouth, in 1900
- Michael Coss, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Dublin, in 1905
- Agnes Coss, aged 28, who settled in America from Glasgow, in 1905
- Harry J. Coss, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Sarah Coss, aged 21, who emigrated to America, in 1909
- David Coss, American politician, 41st Mayor of Santa Fe (2006-2014)
- Chris Coss, English musician
- Peter R. Coss, British historian and Professor of Medieval History at the School of History, Archaeology, and Religion at Cardiff University, Wales
- Gabriel Coss, Grammy Award and a Regional Emmy Award-winner music video director
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Coss Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Coss Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 January 2015 at 12:44.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!