Cosper History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Cosper family
The surname Cosper was first found in Northumberland in the year 1061 when Earl Gospatrick accompanied Tostig on a pilgrimage to Rome. He was of Saxon and Pictish blood. He was "son of Maldred by Algyth or Ealdgyth, daughter of the Northumbrian Earl Uhtred, by his third wife, Elgiva or Ælfgifu, daughter of Ethelred the Unready, was probably the young noble called 'Gaius patricius' in the 'Life of Eadward the Confessor' " 
Hutton-Rudby, a township, in the parish of Rudby-in-Cleveland, union of Stokesley in the North Riding of Yorkshire was an ancient family seat. "This place, in Domesday Book written Hotun, was the property of Gospatrick, Earl of Northumberland, but on the rebellion of that noble was bestowed by the Conqueror upon the Earl of Morton." 
Early History of the Cosper family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cosper research. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1067, 1125, 1295, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Cosper History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cosper Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Gospatrick, Cospatrick and others.
Early Notables of the Cosper family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cosper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cosper family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: settlers, who arrived along the eastern seaboard, from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands.
Contemporary Notables of the name Cosper (post 1700) +
- Kina Cosper (b. 1969), American musician, best known for her work with Grammy Award-nominated group Brownstone
- Kit Cosper (b. 1967), American co-founder of Linux Hardware Solutions, founding director of Linux International, the sixth employee at Red Hat
- Scott Cosper, American politician, Member of the Texas House of Representatives (2017-)
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.