Corwith History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Corwith family
The surname Corwith was first found in Northumberland where the "Curwens of Workington claim descent from the famous Gospatric, Earl of Northumberland. They 'took that name by covenant from Culwen, a family of Galloway, the heir whereof they had married.' Camden. De Culwen was changed to Curwen temp. Henry VI." 
Early History of the Corwith family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Corwith research. Another 158 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1320, 1571, 1621, 1679, 1379, 1602, 1664, 1666, 1696, 1640 and 1718 are included under the topic Early Corwith History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Corwith Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Curwen, Curwens, Corwen, Corwyn, Curwyn, Curwin, Curvin, Corwin, Kerwen, Kerwin, Kerwyn, Kervin and many more.
Early Notables of the Corwith family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Sir Henry Curwen; Robert Curwen, a landholder in 1379 in Yorkshire; Sir Henry and Sir Thomas Curwen of Workington Hall; Sir Patricius Curwen, 1st Baronet (c. 1602-1664), an English landowner and politician who supported the Royalist side in the English Civil War; George Corwin...
Another 54 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Corwith Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Corwith migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Corwith Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H. Corwith, aged 65, who arrived in America from London, in 1892
- Mary Corwith, aged 26, who arrived in America from London, in 1892
- Sarah Corwith, aged 64, who arrived in America from London, in 1892
- Mrs. Corwith, aged 35, who arrived in America, in 1893
- Chas. R. Corwith, aged 35, who arrived in America, in 1894
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Corwith Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louise P. Corwith, aged 18, who arrived in America, in 1907
- Silas R. Corwith, aged 53, who arrived in America, in 1912
- Susan M. Corwith, aged 78, who arrived in America, in 1912
- Cornelia E. Corwith, aged 52, who arrived in America, in 1922
|Contemporary Notables of the name Corwith (post 1700) ||+|
- Van Corwith, American actor, known for his role in Grace Kelly (1983)
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Si je n'estoy
Motto Translation: If I were not.
- Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.