Coninsbey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Coninsbey family
The surname Coninsbey was first found in Lincolnshire where they originated at Coningsby, a village and civil parish 8 miles north of Horncastle. Literally, the place name means "the king's manor or village," from the Old Scandinavian words "konunger" + "by."  The parish dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was listed as Cuningesbi. 
At that time, Coningsby was the King's land, held in tenancy by Earl Hugh, Drogo, and Robert the Steward. It consisted of 15 fisheries. Conjecturally, the Coningsby family name is descended from this Norman source. Sir John Coningsby of Coningsby Castle, earliest recorded of the surname, was slain at Chesterfield in the Barons war with King John in 1216. North Mimms, Hertfordshire was an early home of the family. The church is built of flints, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire, and contains many effigies, brasses with inscriptions in black letter, and other ancient memorials and the windows of which exhibit in stained glass various coats of arms, principally of the Coningsby family. 
"The church [of King's Areley in Worcestershire] is situated on a considerable eminence commanding a fine prospect and nearly overhanging the river, which flows through a rich valley at the base. In the burial ground is a singular sepulchral monument, of the date of about 1690, supposed to commemorate Sir Harry Coningsby, of Hampton Court, who lived in seclusion in this parish, in consequence of the loss of his only child." 
Early History of the Coninsbey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coninsbey research. Another 91 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1585, 1591, 1603, 1603, 1603, 1603, 1616, 1660, 1719, 1729, 1761, 1540, 1480, 1495, 1500, 1509, 1527, 1625, 1591, 1623, 1641, 1644, 1656, 1729, 1541, 1589, 1666, 1621, 1640, 1479, 1447, 1460, 1451 and 1477 are included under the topic Early Coninsbey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Coninsbey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Coningsby, Conisbee, Colisbe, Conigsby, Conesby, Conisby, Connisby, Connesbie, Conesbie, Conisbye, Conisbee, Connisbee, Collisbee, Colisbee, Collisbie, Collisby, Collesby, Conningsbie, Coningsbie, Coningesby, Cunnisby, Cunningsby and many more.
Early Notables of the Coninsbey family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Sir William Coningsby (d. 1540?), judge, second son of "Sir Humphrey Coningsby (who figures as a pleader in the Yearbooks from 1480, was appointed serjesnt-at-law on 9 Sept. 1495, king's serjeant on 30 Oct. 1500, a puisne judge of the king's bench on 21 May 1509, was knighted then or shortly afterwards, and was still living and on the bench in 1527)." 
Sir Thomas Coningsby (died 1625), was an English soldier and Member of Parliament, notable for his diary of military action in France in 1591; Humphrey Coningsby (born ca. 1623), an...
Migration of the Coninsbey family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: William Conisby settled in Barbados in 1635.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Vestigia nulla retrorsum
Motto Translation: No steps backwards.