Conforti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
From the historical and fascinating Italian region of Emilia-Romagna emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Conforti family. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. Although the most common type of family name found in the region of Emilia-Romagna is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name, the nickname type of surname is also frequently found. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The surname Conforti came from a person who enjoyed comfort or luxury.
Early Origins of the Conforti family
The surname Conforti was first found in Bologna (Latin: Bononia), one of the more prosperous cities at this early time. Research reveals that members of the Conforti family lived in the area of Bologna as early as the year 1279, where they owned the castles of Confortino and Martiglione.
Early History of the Conforti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Conforti research. More information is included under the topic Early Conforti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Conforti Spelling Variations
Italian surnames come in far more variations than the names of most other nationalities. Regional traditions and dialects are a decisive factor in this characteristic. For example, northern names tend to end in "o", while southern in "i". Also important, but not unique to Italy, was the fact that before dictionaries and the printing press most scribes simply spelled words according to their sounds. The predictable result was an enormous number of spelling variations. The recorded spellings of Conforti include Conforti, Conforto, Confortino, Confortini, Confortoro, Confortori, Confortone, Confortoni, Confortono, Confortano and many more.
Early Notables of the Conforti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was the Confortini family of Tuscany, who produced many artists, most renowned being Matteo and Iacopo Confortini, whose works can be seen in Florence, Umbria, and Treviso today; Giovanni Battista Conforti was an author in Rome born in 1558; Giovanni Battista Conforti ( fl. 1550-1570) was an Italian composer; Giovanni Luca Conforti (Conforto) of Mileto (1560-1608) sang in...
Another 62 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Conforti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Conforti is the 17,823rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Conforti migration to the United States +
A search of the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Conforti:
Conforti Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angela Conforti, aged 46, who landed in America from Militello, R, Italy, in 1908
- Angelo Maria Conforti, aged 23, who settled in America from Calvanico, Salerno, in 1909
- Antonia Conforti, aged 53, who landed in America from Giffani N., Italy, in 1909
- Angelina Conforti, aged 20, who landed in America from Reggie, Italy, in 1910
- Antonetta Conforti, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Caposele, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Conforti (post 1700) +
- Michael Conforti, American two-time Daytime Emmy Award winning and Writers Guild of America Award winning television writer on the ABC Daytime soap opera General Hospital
- Gino Conforti (b. 1932), American stage and film actor, known for his role as the fiddler in the original production of Fiddler on the Roof with Zero Mostel
- Guido Maria Conforti (1865-1931), Italian Roman Catholic archbishop, founder of the Xaverian Missionary Fathers on 3 December 1895, canonized in 2011
- Pierluigi Conforti (b. 1946), Italian Grand Prix motorcycle road racer
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm