Como History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Como is thought to be a local name; that is, a surname derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local surnames bore the prefix "di," which signified emigration from one place to another, but did not necessarily denote nobility. The Como family most likely took on this surname from the city of Como, in Lombardy. The name Como is also thought to have been a shortened form of the name Giacomo, the Italian equivalent to James.
Early Origins of the Como family
The surname Como was first found in at Como, a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, the administrative capital of the Province of Como. It was originally a Roman colony, was home to Bishop Saint Felix of Como (d. ca. 390 AD,) and later became an independent commune. The first of the name on record appears to be Elia Como of Padua province, who was the mayor of Castelbardo in 1489.
Early History of the Como family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Como research. Another 36 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1601, 1507, 1550, 1606 and 1750 are included under the topic Early Como History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Como Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Como, Comi, Comello, Comelli, Comèl, Comellini, Comelini, Comellato, Comiti, Comitti, Comici, Cominazzo, Cuomo, Cometto, Cometti, Comino, Comini, Comotti, Comolli and many more.
Early Notables of the Como family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this family in early times was Girolamo Comi, a painter born in Modena in 1507, whose works can still be seen today in London, Milan, and around Italy; Antonio Cometto and Domenico Benedetto Cometto, brothers and prominent architects from Ticino, around 1550; Leonardo...
Another 47 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Como Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Como is the 11,574th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Como migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Como Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Marie Como, aged 50, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1785 
- Marie Theriot Como, aged 42, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1785 
- Simon Como, aged 44, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1785 
Como Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angelo Como, age 42, who arrived in America on May 3, 1886, aboard the "Normandie"
- Agata Como, of Sicily, who arrived in America on Jan. 4, 1888, aboard the "Bolivia"
- Ferdinando Como, age 20, who arrived in America on March 2, 1888, aboard the "California"
- Vincenzo Como, age 21, who arrived in New York on Oct. 6, 1890
- Rufo Como, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1895 
Contemporary Notables of the name Como (post 1700) +
- Pierino "Perry" Como (1912-2001), American singer and actor
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)