Norman Conquest of Ireland lead by Strongbow introduced the first non-Gaelic elements into Irish nomenclature. The surname Commefeard came to Ireland from England at that time. It came originally from the name of a village in Staffordshire, and as such belongs to the category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Commefeard family
Kent, England before making its way to Ireland. The name has become almost nonexistent in England. There are Domesday references to the surname in Kent. Later, just over a century later the name moved to Oxfordshire, and Staffordshire, where there is a village of Comerford. In the year 1210, soon after the invasion of Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke, in 1172, the Comerfords were granted land in Kilkenny and Wexford, in Ireland. The family is listed as 'New Settlers' who joined Strongbow and got large grants of land in the County of Wexford.
Early History of the Commefeard family
Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1599, 1558, 1604, 1585, 1586, 1625, 1652, 1762 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Commefeard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Commefeard Spelling Variations
spelling variations. The name Commefeard has existed in the various shapes: Comerford, Comfort, Comport, Comberford, Cummerford, Cumerford, Commerford, Cumfort, Cumport, Comfurt, Compart, Cumberford and many more.
Early Notables of the Commefeard family (pre 1700)
Waterford, religious scholar and lecturer, who was the first of sixteen Jesuits of the name; Gerald, Gerard or Garrett Comerford (c.1558-1604), an Irish barrister, judge and statesman who sat in...
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Commefeard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Commefeard family to the New World and Oceana
Irish immigration to North American began in the late 18th century as many Irish families desired to own their own land. This pattern of immigration grew slowly yet steadily until the 1840s. At that time, a failed crop and a growing population in Ireland resulted in the Great Potato Famine. Poverty, disease, and starvation ravaged the land. To ease their pain and suffering the Irish often looked upon North America as a solution: hundreds of thousands undertook the voyage. Their arrival meant the growth of industry and commerce for British North America and the United States. For the individual Irishman, it meant survival and hope, and the opportunity for work, freedom, and ownership of land. The early immigration and passenger lists revealed many bearing the name Commefeard: James Comerford, who settled in America in 1764; Frederic Comerford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804; followed by John in 1828; Kehone in 1871.
The Commefeard Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: So ho ho dea ne
Motto Translation: God will perform it.
Commefeard Family Crest Products