The 12th century Anglo- Norman Conquest
lead by Strongbow
introduced the first non-Gaelic elements into Irish nomenclature. The surname Commefard came to Ireland
at that time. It came originally from the name of a village in Staffordshire
, and as such belongs to the category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Commefard family
The surname Commefard was first found in Kent
before making its way to Ireland
. The name has become almost nonexistent in England
. There are Domesday references to the surname in Kent
. Later, just over a century later the name moved to Oxfordshire
, and Staffordshire
, where there is a village of Comerford. In the year 1210, soon after the invasion of Strongbow
, Earl of Pembroke, in 1172, the Comerfords were granted land in Kilkenny
, in Ireland. The family is listed as 'New Settlers' who joined Strongbow
and got large grants of land in the County of Wexford.
Early History of the Commefard family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Commefard research.Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1599, 1558, 1604, 1585, 1586, 1625, 1652, 1762 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Commefard History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Commefard Spelling Variations
During the lifetime of an individual person, his name was often spelt by church officials and medieval scribes the way it sounded. An examination of the many different origins of each name has revealed many spelling variations
for the name: Comerford, Comfort, Comport, Comberford, Cummerford, Cumerford, Commerford, Cumfort, Cumport, Comfurt, Compart, Cumberford and many more.
Early Notables of the Commefard family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Dr. Nicholas Quemerfod (c.1542-1599) of Waterford
, religious scholar and lecturer, who was the first of sixteen Jesuits of the name; Gerald, Gerard or Garrett Comerford (c.1558-1604), an Irish barrister, judge and statesman who sat in... Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Commefard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Commefard family to the New World and Oceana
In the mid-19th century, Ireland
experienced one of the worst periods in its entire history. During this decade in order to ease the pressure of the soil, which was actually depleted by the effects of the previous years' grain crops, landowners forced tenant
farmers and peasants onto tiny plots of land that barely provided the basic sustenance a family required. Conditions were worsened, though, by the population of the country, which was growing fast to roughly eight million. So when the Great Potato Famine
of the mid-1840s hit, starvation and diseases decimated the population. Thousands of Irish families
left the country for British North America and the United States. The new immigrants were often accommodated either in the opening western frontiers or as cheap unskilled labor in the established centers. In early passenger and immigration lists there are many immigrants bearing the name Commefard: James Comerford, who settled in America in 1764; Frederic Comerford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804; followed by John in 1828; Kehone in 1871.
The Commefard Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: So ho ho dea ne
Motto Translation: God will perform it.