Comey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Comey name is likely derived from either "MacGiolla Choimdheadh" or "O Camtha." The Gaelic word "coimdheadh" means "lord" or "protector," while "camtha" means "bent or crooked." Some of the variations of this name found mostly in Ulster, such as MacComie are most likely derivatives of MacComb, a sept of the Scottish Clan Mackintosh, but already well established in Ulster by 1659, and Petty's census of Ireland.
Early Origins of the Comey family
The surname Comey was first found in Breffny, and Cork in the south of Ireland, as well as in Ulster. There are no doubt two different sources of this same name, with those in the south being native Irish Gaelic names.
Important Dates for the Comey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Comey research. Another 33 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1571 and 1596 are included under the topic Early Comey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Comey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Comey, Coomey, MacComey, MacComb, MacCombe, O'Comey, MacComie and many more.
Early Notables of the Comey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Comey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Comey migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Comey Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Comey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cornelius Comey, who declared an Oath of Allegiance in Philadelphia in 1864
- Samuel George Comey, who was naturalized in Illinois in 1885
Contemporary Notables of the name Comey (post 1700)
- Arthur Messinger Comey (1861-1933), American chemist and professor, an author of A Dictionary of Chemical Solubilities
- Rachel Comey, American independent fashion designer, founder of Rachel Comey, a clothing, shoes, and accessories brand
- James Brien Comey (b. 1960), American lawyer and former Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (2013-2017), Deputy Attorney General of the United States during President George W. Bush's administration, 7th Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; he was fired on May 9,2017
- Stephen Comey (b. 1963), Irish-born, Australian actor, known for his roles in Sons and Daughters (1982), Come Midnight Monday (1982) and Hey Dad..! (1987)
- Rev. James Patrick Comey, Rector of Holy Rosary Cathedral in Vancouver (1995-)
You May Also Like