The Comey name is likely derived from either "MacGiolla Choimdheadh" or "O Camtha." The Gaelic word "coimdheadh" means "lord" or "protector," while "camtha" means "bent or crooked." Some of the variations of this name found mostly in Ulster
, such as MacComie are most likely derivatives of MacComb, a sept of the Scottish Clan
Mackintosh, but already well established in Ulster
by 1659, and Petty's census of Ireland.
Early Origins of the Comey family
The surname Comey was first found in Breffny
, and Cork in the south of Ireland
, as well as in Ulster
. There are no doubt two different sources of this same name, with those in the south being native Irish Gaelic names.
Early History of the Comey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Comey research.Another 33 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1571 and 1596 are included under the topic Early Comey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Comey Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Comey, Coomey, MacComey, MacComb, MacCombe, O'Comey, MacComie and many more.
Early Notables of the Comey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Comey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Comey family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Comey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cornelius Comey, who declared an Oath of Allegiance in Philadelphia in 1864
- Samuel George Comey, who was naturalized in Illinois in 1885
Contemporary Notables of the name Comey (post 1700)
- Arthur Messinger Comey (1861-1933), American chemist and professor, an author of A Dictionary of Chemical Solubilities
- Rachel Comey, American independent fashion designer, founder of Rachel Comey, a clothing, shoes, and accessories brand
- James Brien Comey (b. 1960), American lawyer and former Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (2013-2017), Deputy Attorney General of the United States during President George W. Bush's administration, 7th Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation; he was fired on May 9,2017
- Stephen Comey (b. 1963), Irish-born, Australian actor, known for his roles in Sons and Daughters (1982), Come Midnight Monday (1982) and Hey Dad..! (1987)
- Rev. James Patrick Comey, Rector of Holy Rosary Cathedral in Vancouver (1995-)
The Comey Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Fortitudine et Prudentia
Motto Translation: With fortitude and prudence.
Comey Family Crest Products