The 12th century Anglo- Norman Conquest
lead by Strongbow
introduced the first non-Gaelic elements into Irish nomenclature. The surname Comerfithy came to Ireland
at that time. It came originally from the name of a village in Staffordshire
, and as such belongs to the category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Comerfithy family
The surname Comerfithy was first found in Kent
before making its way to Ireland
. The name has become almost nonexistent in England
. There are Domesday references to the surname in Kent
. Later, just over a century later the name moved to Oxfordshire
, and Staffordshire
, where there is a village of Comerford. In the year 1210, soon after the invasion of Strongbow
, Earl of Pembroke, in 1172, the Comerfords were granted land in Kilkenny
, in Ireland. The family is listed as 'New Settlers' who joined Strongbow
and got large grants of land in the County of Wexford.
Early History of the Comerfithy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Comerfithy research.Another 159 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1599, 1558, 1604, 1585, 1586, 1625, 1652, 1762 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Comerfithy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Comerfithy Spelling Variations
Church officials and medieval scribes often spelled early surnames as they sounded. This practice often resulted in many spelling variations
of even a single name. Early versions of the name Comerfithy included: Comerford, Comfort, Comport, Comberford, Cummerford, Cumerford, Commerford, Cumfort, Cumport, Comfurt, Compart, Cumberford and many more.
Early Notables of the Comerfithy family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Dr. Nicholas Quemerfod (c.1542-1599) of Waterford
, religious scholar and lecturer, who was the first of sixteen Jesuits of the name; Gerald, Gerard or Garrett Comerford (c.1558-1604), an Irish barrister, judge and statesman who sat in... Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Comerfithy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Comerfithy family to the New World and Oceana
went through one of the most devastating periods in its history with the arrival of the Great Potato Famine
of the 1840s. Many also lost their lives from typhus, fever and dysentery. And poverty was the general rule as tenant
farmers were often evicted because they could not pay the high rents. Emigration to North America gave hundreds of families a chance at a life where work, freedom, and land ownership were all possible. For those who made the long journey, it meant hope and survival. The Irish emigration to British North America and the United States opened up the gates of industry, commerce, education and the arts. Early immigration and passenger lists have shown many Irish people bearing the name Comerfithy: James Comerford, who settled in America in 1764; Frederic Comerford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804; followed by John in 1828; Kehone in 1871.
The Comerfithy Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: So ho ho dea ne
Motto Translation: God will perform it.