Comefeart History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The 12th century Anglo-Norman Conquest of Ireland lead by Strongbow introduced the first non-Gaelic elements into Irish nomenclature. The surname Comefeart came to Ireland from England at that time. It came originally from the name of a village in Staffordshire, and as such belongs to the category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Comefeart family
The surname Comefeart was first found in Kent, England before making its way to Ireland. The name has become almost nonexistent in England. There are Domesday references to the surname in Kent. 
Later, just over a century later the name moved to Oxfordshire, and Staffordshire, where there is a village of Comerford. In the year 1210, soon after the invasion of Strongbow, Earl of Pembroke, in 1172, the Comerfords were granted land in Kilkenny and Wexford, in Ireland. The family is listed as 'New Settlers' who joined Strongbow and got large grants of land in the County of Wexford.
Early History of the Comefeart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Comefeart research. Another 80 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1542, 1599, 1562, 1575, 1558, 1604, 1585, 1586, 1625, 1652, 1762 and 1832 are included under the topic Early Comefeart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Comefeart Spelling Variations
A single person's name was often spelt simply as it sounded by medieval scribes and church officials. An investigation into the specific origins the name Comefeart has revealed that such a practice has resulted in many spelling variations over the years. A few of its variants include: Comerford, Comfort, Comport, Comberford, Cummerford, Cumerford, Commerford, Cumfort, Cumport, Comfurt, Compart, Cumberford and many more.
Early Notables of the Comefeart family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Dr. Nicholas Quemerfod, Comberford, Comerford (c.1542-1599) of Waterford, religious scholar and lecturer, who was the first of sixteen Jesuits of the name. Born in Waterford, he took the degree of B.A. at Oxford in 1562, after he had spent at least four years in that university. "After completing his degree by determination he returned to Ireland, was ordained priest, and obtained some ecclesiastical preferment from which he was ejected on account of his...
Migration of the Comefeart family
In the 1840s, Ireland experienced a mass exodus to North America due to the Great Potato Famine. These families wanted to escape from hunger and disease that was ravaging their homeland. With the promise of work, freedom and land overseas, the Irish looked upon British North America and the United States as a means of hope and prosperity. Those that survived the journey were able to achieve this through much hard work and perseverance. Early immigration and passenger lists revealed many bearing the name Comefeart: James Comerford, who settled in America in 1764; Frederic Comerford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1804; followed by John in 1828; Kehone in 1871.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: So ho ho dea ne
Motto Translation: God will perform it.