Colgrave History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Colgrave is Anglo-Saxon in origin. It is made up of two elements, both derived from Old English: "col," meaning "cold," and "graf," meaning "grove" or "thicket." It is likely that the original bearer of the name was someone from the north who lived near a large or well-known grove.
Early Origins of the Colgrave family
The surname Colgrave was first found in Oxfordshire, where the name is thought to have first emerged. The earliest known bearer of the name was Geo Colgrave, who was married in Oxfordshire in 1566.
Important Dates for the Colgrave family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Colgrave research. Another 117 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1566, 1610, 1620, 1610, 1663, 1640, 1667, 1759, 1694, 1787, 1717 and 1768 are included under the topic Early Colgrave History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Colgrave Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Colgrove, Colgrave, Colegrove, Colegrave and others.
Early Notables of the Colgrave family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Thomas Colgrave (b. 1640), a well-known lieutenant colonel in the British army; Francis Colegrove (c. 1667-c. 1759), English colonial immigrant, the first...
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Colgrave Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Colgrave migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Colgrave Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Charles Colgrave, aged 54, who settled in St Louis, USA, in 1909
- Kathleen Colgrave, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1911
- Laurence Colgrave, aged 58, who immigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Beatrice Colgrave, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1911
- Alice Florence Colgrave, aged 23, who immigrated to the United States from Rugby, England, in 1921
Contemporary Notables of the name Colgrave (post 1700)
- Felix Colgrave, American Topanga Film Festival Award winning animator, known for his work on TripTank (2014), Double King (2017) and Party Legends (2016)
- Bertram Colgrave D. Litt. (1889-1968), Irish-born medieval historian, antiquarian and archaeologist who specialized in the lives of the early saints in Anglo-Saxon England
- Jack Colgrave Hirst, American actor, known for Branagh Theatre Live: Romeo and Juliet (2016), The Terror (2018) and Stan Lee's Lucky Man (2016)
- Kate Colgrave Pope, British actress, known for her work on Eastenders (2005)