Cobcroft History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestors of the bearers of the Cobcroft family name are thought have lived in ancient Anglo-Saxon England. They were first found in the now extinct Copedene, which was in the county of Yorkshire. This family also lived the place called Cobden Farm in the county of Sussex.
Early Origins of the Cobcroft family
The surname Cobcroft was first found in Oxfordshire where the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 listed John Copedenne as holding lands there at that time. However, one source that "this surname is derived from a geographical locality. 'of Copedene.' I cannot find the spot, but it must have been in Yorkshire." 
Early History of the Cobcroft family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cobcroft research. Another 23 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1273 and 1525 are included under the topic Early Cobcroft History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cobcroft Spelling Variations
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Cobcroft include Cobden, Copden, Copdon, Cobdon, Copendenne and others.
Early Notables of the Cobcroft family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cobcroft Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cobcroft migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Cobcroft Settlers in Australia in the 18th Century
- Sarah Cobcroft (1772-1857), née Smith, English midwife and farmer who immigrated to Australia arriving aboard the Neptune on 28 June 1790, part of the Second Fleet
- John Cobcroft, English convict of highway robbery who married Sarah Smith, granted a conditional pardon on 12 December 1794 and later granted 30 acres of land at Wilberforce, Australia
Contemporary Notables of the name Cobcroft (post 1700) +
- Leslie Thomas Cobcroft (1867-1938), Australian first-class cricketer
- Brien Cobcroft (1934-2010), Australian bronze medalist equestrian at the 1968 Summer Olympics
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print