Catlett History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Catlett is a name of Anglo-Saxon origin and came from Chetel, an Old Norse and Old English given name.
Early Origins of the Catlett family
The surname Catlett was first found in Norfolk, where they held a family seat from the Middle Ages.
Early History of the Catlett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Catlett research. Another 200 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1275, 1279, 1500, 1530, 1653, 1683 and 1707 are included under the topic Early Catlett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Catlett Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Catlett have been found, including Cattell, Cattle, Catel, Cattall, Catell, Cattelle and many more.
Early Notables of the Catlett family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Catlett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Catlett is the 4,830th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Catlett migration to the United States +
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Catlett, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were :
Catlett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Catlett, who arrived in Virginia in 1650 
- Nicholas Catlett, who arrived in Virginia in 1650 
Contemporary Notables of the name Catlett (post 1700) +
- Elizabeth Catlett (b. 1915), American sculptor and printmaker
- Mary Jo Catlett (b. 1938), American actress
- Gale Catlett (b. 1940), American basketball player and longtime basketball coach
- Walter Catlett (1889-1960), American actor
- Sidney Catlett (1910-1951), American swinging jazz drummer
- Leon B. Catlett, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Arkansas, 1960 
- J. R. Catlett, American Democratic Party politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1916 
- Hilary J. Catlett, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for West Virginia State House of Delegates from Morgan County, 1934 
- Gussie Catlett, American Democratic Party politician, Member of Democratic National Committee from Oklahoma, 1939-40; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oklahoma, 1952 
- Don V. Catlett, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Ciudad Trujillo, 1943 
- ... (Another 1 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 20) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html