Castagna History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Castagna family
The surname Castagna was first found in Modena (Etruscan: Mutna; Latin: Mutina; Modenese: Mòdna), a city in Emilia capital of the province of Modena. It became Roman in 215 B.C. It was successfully defended by Brutus against Mark Anthony. It changed hands many times between Church and Duchy. In 1859 the inhabitants declared in favor of unity with the Kingdom of Italy. The Ducal Palace is a notable. Rich in art the city has many museums and galleries. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor. Cusano Milanino is a town and comune in the province of Milan, in Lombardy and Cusano Mutri is a comune in the province of Benevento in Campania.
Important Dates for the Castagna family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Castagna research. Another 194 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1712, 1782, 1852, 1421, 1457, 1625, 1712, 1677, 1756, 1478, 1600, 1711, 1700, 1659, 1714, 1658 and 1720 are included under the topic Early Castagna History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Castagna Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Cassano, Cassani, Cassiano, Cassiani, Casciano, Casciani, Cassanello, Cassanelli, Cascianelli, Cascianini, Cassius, Casano, Casana, Casani, Casiano, Casino, Cassino, Cascante and many more.
Early Notables of the Castagna family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Andrea del Castagno (c. 1421-1457), an Italian painter from Florence; Giovanni Domenico Cassini (1625-1712), Italian-born, French astronomer, eponym of numerous craters and Cassini's Laws; Jacques Cassini (1677-1756), French astronomer, son of Giovanni Domenico Cassini; Antonio Cassano, a captain of the militia in Famagosta in 1478; Giovanni Francesco Cassana was a famous painter around 1600; Maria Vittoria Cassana (died 1711) was an Italian painter of the late-Baroque; Nicol Cassana...
Another 75 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Castagna Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Castagna migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Castagna Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Castagna, who arrived in Arkansas in 1892
- Joseph Castagna, who landed in Arkansas in 1892 
Castagna Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Camillo Castagna, who settled in Arkansas in 1905
- Camillo Castagna, who arrived in Arkansas in 1905 
- Alessandrina Castagna, aged 27, who landed in America from Feletto, Italy, in 1910
- Antonino Castagna, aged 29, who immigrated to America from Brolo, Sicily, in 1910
- Anna Castagna, aged 21, who landed in America from Castrogiovanni, Sicily, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Castagna (post 1700)
- William J. Castagna (b. 1924), American lawyer and judge
- Cristina Castagna (1977-2009), Italian mountaineer
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)