Camus History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Camus family
The surname Camus was first found in Provence where this illustrious family held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Camus family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Camus research. Another 426 words (30 lines of text) covering the years 1426, 1546, 1656, 1680, 1750, 1789, 1791, 1800, and 1810 are included under the topic Early Camus History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Camus Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Camus, Camut, Camou, Camu, Camous, Gamu, Gamus, Gamou, Gamous, Le Camus, Le Camut, Le Camou, Le Camu, Le Camous, Le Gamu, Le Gamus, Le Gamou, Le Gamous, Camard, Camardo, Camardon and many more.
Early Notables of the Camus family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the names at this time was Jean-Pierre Camus de Pontcarré (1584-1652), a French bishop, preacher, and author of works of fiction and spirituality.
Étienne Le Camus (1632-1707), was a French cardinal, son of Nicolas le Camus, a state councillor.
Camus Cognac is a brand of cognac that has been produced by five generations of the Camus family, since 1863 when Jean-Baptiste Camus organized a group of producers to sell cognac under the brand 'La Grande Marque'.
Sébastien Le Camus (ca. 1610-1677) was a French composer...
Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Camus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Camus migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Camus Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Antoine Camus, aged 41, settled in Louisiana in 1719
- Antoine Camus, aged 41, who landed in Louisiana in 1719 
Contemporary Notables of the name Camus (post 1700) +
- Thane Camus (b. 1970), American expatriate television personality and actor in Japan
- Chico Camus (b. 1985), American bantamweight mixed martial artist
- Renaud Camus (b. 1946), French writer
- Philippe Camus (b. 1948), (born 1948), French businessman
- Pierre Duval Le Camus (1790-1854), French genre and portrait painter; father of Jules-Alexandre Duval Le Camus
- Marcel Camus (1912-1982), French film director and Golden Palm winner
- Giulio Camus (1847-1917), French botanist and entomologist
- Jules-Alexandre Duval Le Camus (1817-1878), French historical and scriptural painter; son of Pierre Duval Le Camus
- Émile Le Camus (1839-1906), French Catholic bishop, theologian, and scripturist
- Elisabeth Camus, French racing cyclist
- ... (Another 15 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)