Camara History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Camara family
The surname Camara was first found in Provence where this illustrious family held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Camara family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Camara research. Another 426 words (30 lines of text) covering the years 1426, 1546, 1656, 1680, 1750, 1789, 1791, 1800, and 1810 are included under the topic Early Camara History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Camara Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Camus, Camut, Camou, Camu, Camous, Gamu, Gamus, Gamou, Gamous, Le Camus, Le Camut, Le Camou, Le Camu, Le Camous, Le Gamu, Le Gamus, Le Gamou, Le Gamous, Camard, Camardo, Camardon and many more.
Early Notables of the Camara family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the names at this time was Jean-Pierre Camus de Pontcarré (1584-1652), a French bishop, preacher, and author of works of fiction and spirituality.
Étienne Le Camus (1632-1707), was a French cardinal, son of Nicolas le Camus, a state councillor.
Camus Cognac is a brand of cognac that has been produced by five generations of the Camus family, since 1863 when Jean-Baptiste Camus organized a group of producers to sell cognac under the brand 'La Grande Marque'.
Sébastien Le Camus (ca. 1610-1677) was a French composer...
Another 85 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Camara Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Camara is the 4,786th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Camara is ranked the 4,645th most popular surname with an estimated 1,500 - 2,000 people with that name. 
Camara migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Camara Settlers in United States in the 16th Century
- Baltasar De La Camara who arrived in Mexico in 1565
- Juana de la Camara who settled in New Spain with three sisters, Diego de Camara who settled in Ecuador in 1584
- Pedro De La Camara who immigrated to the Philippines in 1594
Camara Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisco V Camara Peresteitto who arrived in New York City in 1822
- Juan Camara, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1860 
- Manuel Camara, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1898 
Contemporary Notables of the name Camara (post 1700) +
- Eugène Camara (1942-2019), Guinea politician, Prime Minister of Guinea in February 2007
- Naby Laye "Papa" Camara (1951-2018), Guinean footballer of the 1970s and 1980s
- Cheick Fantamady Camara (1960-2017), award-winning Guinean film director
- Helder Pessoa Camara (b. 1909), Roman Catholic theologian and clergyman, born in Fortaleza, Brazil. Archbishop of Olinda and Recife (1964--84), and received international recognition with the award of the Martin Luther King, Jr, Peace Prize (1970) and the People's Prize (1973)
- Camara Laye (1928-1980), African writer from French Guinea
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)