on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Byerly family come from? What is the English Byerly family crest and coat of arms? When did the Byerly family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Byerly family history?The Anglo-Saxon name Byerly comes from the family having resided in Brearley.
Byerly has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Brierley, Brierly, Briarly, Briarley, Bryerly and others.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Byerly research. Another 288 words (21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Byerly History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Byerly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Byerlys to arrive on North American shores:
Byerly Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Michael Byerly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Elizabeth Byerly, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1763
- Christr Byerly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
Byerly Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Byerly, aged 24, arrived in New York in 1812
- Jacob Byerly, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County,Pennsylvania in 1826
- Samuel Byerly, who arrived in New York, NY in 1835
- Perry Byerly, American chairman of the Technical Panel for Seismology and Gravity of the U.S. National Committee for the International Geophysical Year, eponym of Mount Byerly, Antarctica
- Kathleen M. Byerly (1944-1975), the first female officer in the United States Navy to be appointed flag secretary and aide to an admiral, Time Person of the Year in 1975
- Chester H. Byerly (1918-1984), American politician, Republican member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives (1973 to 1974)
- Josh Byerly, American public affairs officer and spokesman for NASA based at the Johnson Space Center
- Eldred William "Bud" Byerly (1920-2012), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Byerly Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Byerly Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 May 2015 at 11:04.
on orders of $85 or more