on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
name Byerly comes from the family having resided in Brearley.
The surname Byerly was first found in Cheshire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Byerly has been spelled many different ways, including Before English spelling became standardized over the last few hundred years, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. As the English language changed in the Middle Ages, absorbing pieces of Latin and French, as well as other languages, the spelling of people's names also changed considerably, even over a single lifetime. Brierley, Brierly, Briarly, Briarley, Bryerly and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Byerly research. Another 288 words (21 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Byerly History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Byerly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
In an attempt to escape the chaos experienced in England
, many English families boarded overcrowded and diseased ships sailing for the shores of North America and other British colonies. Those families hardy enough, and lucky enough, to make the passage intact were rewarded with land and a social environment less prone to religious and political persecution. Many of these families became important contributors to the young colonies in which they settled. Early immigration and passenger lists have documented some of the first Byerlys to arrive on North American shores:
Byerly Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Michael Byerly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753
- Elizabeth Byerly, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1763
- Christr Byerly, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765
Byerly Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Byerly, aged 24, arrived in New York in 1812
- Jacob Byerly, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County,Pennsylvania in 1826
- Samuel Byerly, who arrived in New York, NY in 1835
- Perry Byerly, American chairman of the Technical Panel for Seismology and Gravity of the U.S. National Committee for the International Geophysical Year, eponym of Mount Byerly, Antarctica
- Kathleen M. Byerly (1944-1975), the first female officer in the United States Navy to be appointed flag secretary and aide to an admiral, Time Person of the Year in 1975
- Chester H. Byerly (1918-1984), American politician, Republican member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives (1973 to 1974)
- Josh Byerly, American public affairs officer and spokesman for NASA based at the Johnson Space Center
- Eldred William "Bud" Byerly (1920-2012), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Byerly Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Byerly Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 May 2016 at 16:25.
on orders of $85 or more