Burfitt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The history of the name Burfitt begins with the Norman Conquest of England in 1066. This Norman name was soon thereafter given to a person who was in the habit of going without shoes. Friars, pilgrims, and people doing penance often went shoeless. The Barford(e) variation was likely derived from one of the many places in England so named in Hampshire, Norfolk, Warwickshire and Bedfordshire.
Early Origins of the Burfitt family
The surname Burfitt was first found in various counties and shires throughout Britain. Some of the first records of the name appears in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 and they include: Norman Barfot in Lincolnshire; Robert Barefot in Oxfordshire; and Alan Barefot in Cambridgeshire. 
Henry de Bereford was listed in the Pipe Rolls of Gloucestershire in 1204 and in Yorkshire, William de Bereford was listed there in 1325 and later John Berford was listed there in 1419. 
Doora Barefield, or Doora and Kilraghtis, is a parish in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Killaloe, in County Clare, Ireland.
Early History of the Burfitt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burfitt research. Another 129 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1180, 1400, 1655, 1688, 1685 and 1686 are included under the topic Early Burfitt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burfitt Spelling Variations
Before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Sound was what guided spelling in the Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Burfitt family name include Barefoot, Barfoot, Barfitt, Barfit, Barford, Barefield, Barefred, Barefoote and many more.
Early Notables of the Burfitt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Burfitt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Burfitt migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Burfitt Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Samuel Burfitt, aged 26, a farm labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Marion" 
Contemporary Notables of the name Burfitt (post 1700) +
- Brooke Burfitt (b. 1988), English actress and radio presenter, daughter of Louise Burfitt-Dons
- Louise Burfitt -Dons FRSA (b. 1953), née Byres, a British writer and social commentator, humanitarian and political activist
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) MARION 1851 - HER HISTORY. Retrieved http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1851Marion.htm