100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
In Scottish history, few names go farther back than Bunch, whose ancestors lived among the clans of the Pictish tribe. They lived in the lands of Perthshire
since the early 15th century.
The surname Bunch was first found in Perthshire
(Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
The arts of spelling and translation were yet in their infancies when surnames began, so there are an enormous number of spelling variations of the names in early Scottish records. This is a particular problem with Scottish names because of the numerous times a name might have been loosely translated to English from Gaelic and back. Bunch has been spelled Bunch, Bunsche, Bunche and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bunch research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1468, 1478, 1488, 1505, 1508, 1526, and 1551 are included under the topic Early Bunch History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Bunch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
This oppression forced many Scots to leave their homelands. Most of these chose North America as their destination. Although the journey left many sick and poor, these immigrants were welcomed the hardy with great opportunity. Many of these settlers stood up for their newfound freedom in the American War of Independence
. More recently, Scots abroad have recovered much of their collective heritage through highland games and other patriotic functions and groups. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has located various settlers bearing the name Bunch:
Bunch Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jno Bunch, who arrived in Virginia in 1656
- Wm Bunch, who arrived in Virginia in 1665-1666
Bunch Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Bunch, who landed in Virginia in 1716
- Robert Bunch who settled in Maryland in 1742
Bunch Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel G Bunch, who landed in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1811
- Alexander Bunch settled in New York City with his wife in 1820
- Henry Bunch, aged 30, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1838
- William Bunch settled in Philadelphia in 1850
- Nicholas Bunch, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1879
Bunch Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Margaret Bunch, aged 20, a domestic servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Apelles" in 1878
- Jon Bunch (1970-2016), American rock singer and songwriter
- Melvin Lynn Bunch Jr. (b. 1971), American former Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1995 to 1999
- Charles E. Bunch (b. 1953), American Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of PPG Industries, Inc
- Lonnie G. Bunch III (b. 1952), American educator and historian, former director of the Chicago Historical Society, founding director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Kenji Bunch (b. 1973), American violist and composer
- Velton Ray Bunch (b. 1948), American Emmy Award winning film and television composer
- Jarrod Ray Bunch (b. 1968), former American NFL football fullback who played from 1991 to 1994
- Tyler Bunch (b. 1970), American puppeteer, puppet designer, director and actor who worked for the Jim Henson Company and later for Disney's The Muppets Studio
- Pat Bunch, American country music songwriter
- Samuel Bunch (1786-1849), American politician, Member of the United States House of Representatives for Tennessee (1833-1837)
- Parkes and Bunch on the Trail West, with Allied Families by Alice Crandall Park.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
The Bunch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bunch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 May 2016 at 07:49.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!