Buckwalter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Schleswig-Holstein, which is the northernmost state in western Germany, is the homeland of the proud surname Buckwalter. The name Buckwalter, which is a local surname, reveals that the original bearer of the name once lived, held land, or was born in this beautiful region of Schleswig. In the Holy Roman Empire, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and after the 12th century, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. When coupled with the German preposition von, which means from or of, local names can indicate that the bearer of the name was an aristocrat. However, in modern times, the von is frequently dropped from the surname.
Early Origins of the Buckwalter family
The surname Buckwalter was first found in Schleswig-Holstein, where the name could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of early development of Europe. The name became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever-changing territorial profile. The Buchwald family of this northern region were found in Mecklenburg, West Prussia, Silesia, and their landed property varied greatly in size; they lost and gained territory in numerous feuds with the city of Luebeck and the ruling Counts of Holstein.
Early History of the Buckwalter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Buckwalter research. Another 120 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1309 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Buckwalter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Buckwalter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Buchwald, Buchwalde, Buckwald, Buchwalder, Buchwalter and many more.
Early Notables of the Buckwalter family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Buckwalter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Buckwalter is the 15,256th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Buckwalter migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Buckwalter Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Buckwalter, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743 
Contemporary Notables of the name Buckwalter (post 1700) +
- Ronald Lawrence Buckwalter (b. 1936), American politician, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1990-2003 
- A. M. Buckwalter, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania at-large, 1920 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html