on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Brownell family come from? What is the English Brownell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Brownell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Brownell family history?The Brownell surname is thought to be a habitational name, created from any of various places in England called Brownell. There was a Brownell in Yorkshire, in Cheshire, and in Staffordshire. These place names in turn come from the Old English "brun,"meaning "brown," and "hyll" meaning "a hill."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Brownell, Brounell, Brownel and others.
First found in Derbyshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times. The Brownell surname may even pre-date the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brownell research. Another 248 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1275 and 1329 are included under the topic Early Brownell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Brownell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Brownell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anne Brownell who settled in Massachusetts in 1630 with her husband Thomas
- Thomas Brownell, who landed in Rhode Island in 1638
Brownell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Silas Brownell arrived in New York in 1823
- T. A. A. W. Brownell arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- E. H. Brownell, aged 37, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1892
- E. F. Brownell, aged 35, who settled in America, in 1893
- Clara Brownell, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1894
Brownell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adela Brownell, who settled in America, in 1900
- A.S. Brownell, aged 40, who landed in America from London, in 1904
- Carl W. Brownell, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1904
- Anna J. Brownell, aged 55, who emigrated to America, in 1905
- Elizabeth A. Brownell, aged 59, who landed in America, in 1905
Brownell Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Jeremiah Brownell U.E who settled in Westmoreland County, New Brunswick c. 1783 he died in 1835
- Herbert Brownell Jr. (1904-1996), Attorney General of the United States in President Eisenhower's cabinet from 1953 to 1957
- Sonia Mary Brownell (1918-1980), second and last wife of writer George Orwell
- Henry Howard Brownell (1820-1872), American lawyer, poet and prose writer
- William Crary Brownell (1851-1928), American journalist and literary critic
- Eric Lindsay Douglas Brownell (1876-1945), English (Australian-born) cricketer
- Frederick Gordon Brownell OMSS, SM, MMM, JCD, South African State Herald (1982-2002,) vexillologist, and genealogist
- Air Commodore Raymond James Brownell CBE, MC, MM (1894-1974), Australian First World War flying ace
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
The Brownell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Brownell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 February 2015 at 13:15.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more