Brookebank History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Brookebank is part of the ancient legacy of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. It is a product of when the family lived in Yorkshire, where the name is derived from two places with the name Brooksbank in the West Riding. These place names are derived from Old English: brokes, the genitive of broke, which means "brook, stream"; and bank, as in riverbank.  
Early Origins of the Brookebank family
The surname Brookebank was first found in Yorkshire where one of the first listings of the name was Thomas Brokesbank, who was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379. 
Early History of the Brookebank family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brookebank research. Another 74 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1802, 1612, 1694, 1756, 1741 and 1743 are included under the topic Early Brookebank History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brookebank Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Brookebank has been spelled many different ways, including Brookbank, Brocksbank, Brookebank, Brooksbank and many more.
Early Notables of the Brookebank family (pre 1700)
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Brookebank Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brookebank migration to the United States +
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Brookebanks to arrive in North America:
Brookebank Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Abraham Brookebank, who landed in Maryland in 1679 
Related Stories +
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)