Noble surnames, such as Bourgoin, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the French people. The original bearer of the name Bourgoin, which is a local
surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Burgoigne. In France, hereditary surnames
were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local
names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Bourgoin family originally lived in the province of Burgoigne, known in the English speaking world as Burgundy.
Early Origins of the Bourgoin family
The surname Bourgoin was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France where they held a family seat
as a noble family. They were Lords of the Manor of Nivernais from early recorded time.
Early History of the Bourgoin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bourgoin research.Another 325 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1314, 1441, 1370, 1682, 1712, 1585, 1662, 1693 and 1721 are included under the topic Early Bourgoin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bourgoin Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Bourgoin, Bourgoine, Bourgoing, le Bourgoing, Bourgoins, Bourgoines, Borgoin, Borgoine, Borgoing, le Borgoing, Bourgogne, Bourgognes, le Bourgogne, le Bourgognes, Borgognes, Borgogne, le Borgogne, le Borgognes, Bourgagne, Bourgagnes, Bourgone, Bourgones, Borgone, Borgones, Bourgon, Bourgons, Bourgonne, Bourgonnes, Borgon, Borgone, Borgonne and many more.
Early Notables of the Bourgoin family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Guillaume Le Borgoinne, Knight; Louis, Duke of Bourgogne, grandson of Louis XIV and father of Louis XV; François Bourgoing, theologian; and Louis Bourguignon (1693-1721), born Louis Dominique... Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bourgoin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bourgoin family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bourgoin Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Vincent Bourgoin who married Françoise Migneron on the 6th of November, 1724
Bourgoin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jean Edouard Bourgoin, aged 20, who landed in America from Bordeaux, France, in 1907
- Maria Bourgoin, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Paris, France, in 1907
- Therese Bourgoin, aged 27, who landed in America from Bourges, France, in 1910
- Anne Bourgoin, aged 22, who emigrated to the United States from Paris, France, in 1913
- Cherese Bourgoin, aged 28, who landed in America from Paris, France, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bourgoin (post 1700)
- Leslie Bourgoin (b. 1985), better known by her mononym Leslie, a French pop-R&B singer
- Ariane Louise Bourgoin (b. 1981), French actress, model and television presenter