The distinguished Spanish surname Boria is of toponymic origin, being derived from a place where the initial bearer once resided or held land. In this case, the surname Boria signifies a "native of Borja." The place name Borja is itself derived from the Arabic word "burdz," which means "tower" and is an indication that in the town of Borja there were several towers or a prominent tower.
Early Origins of the Boria family
The surname Boria was first found in Zaragoza, in the region of Aragon
. The oldest records of the surname Boria are references to the family Borja de Zaragoza, whose family seat
was in the place called Borja, from where they took their name. The lord of this city was the count Don Pedro de Alares of the twelfth century, who was a lieutenant of the emperor and of king Don Alfonso I of Aragon
. He was considered by many to have been the prime source of the lineage.
Early History of the Boria family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Boria research.Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1492, 1441, 1505, 1431, 1503, 1475, 1507, 1474 and 1497 are included under the topic Early Boria History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Boria Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Borja, Borgia, Boria, Borjen, Borges, Borjas and others.
Early Notables of the Boria family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of the family name in this era was Juan Castellar y de Borja (1441-1505), a Spanish Roman Catholic bishop and cardinal; Rodrigo Borja (1431-1503), who became Pope Alexander VI. He was an able politician, but he is remembered for his irreligious worldliness; Among his children was... Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Boria Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Boria family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Boria Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J. Boria, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1894
- Frank Boria, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1897
Boria Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Angelo Boria, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1906
- Emilio Boria, aged 18, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Domenico Boria, aged 23, who landed in America from Pergola, Italy, in 1914
- Maria Boria, aged 7, who emigrated to America from Teano, Potenza, in 1920
- Giuseppa Boria, aged 2, who emigrated to the United States from Caltagirone, Catania, in 1921
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Boria (post 1700)
- Juan Boria (1906-1995), also known as the Negro Verse Pharaoh, a Puerto Rican poet