Bookwalter History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Schleswig-Holstein, which is the northernmost state in western Germany, is the homeland of the proud surname Bookwalter. The name Bookwalter, which is a local surname, reveals that the original bearer of the name once lived, held land, or was born in this beautiful region of Schleswig. In the Holy Roman Empire, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and after the 12th century, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. When coupled with the German preposition von, which means from or of, local names can indicate that the bearer of the name was an aristocrat. However, in modern times, the von is frequently dropped from the surname.
Early Origins of the Bookwalter family
The surname Bookwalter was first found in Schleswig-Holstein, where the name could be considered to make a great early contribution to the feudal society which became the backbone of early development of Europe. The name became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses which played important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, each group seeking power and status in an ever-changing territorial profile. The Buchwald family of this northern region were found in Mecklenburg, West Prussia, Silesia, and their landed property varied greatly in size; they lost and gained territory in numerous feuds with the city of Luebeck and the ruling Counts of Holstein.
Important Dates for the Bookwalter family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bookwalter research. Another 120 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1309 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Bookwalter History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bookwalter Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Buchwald, Buchwalde, Buckwald, Buchwalder, Buchwalter and many more.
Early Notables of the Bookwalter family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bookwalter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bookwalter migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bookwalter Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- A. G. Bookwalter, who settled in America, in 1905
- T.F. Bookwalter, aged 26, who settled in America, in 1906
- Mrs Bookwalter, who landed in America, in 1907
- Frank M Bookwalter, who landed in America, in 1907
- Mary Bookwalter, aged 38, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Bookwalter (post 1700)
- DeVeren Bookwalter (1939-1987), American theatre actor and director, first person to win three Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards
- Brent Bookwalter (b. 1984), American professional cyclist
- Joseph Bookwalter, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 14th District, 1881-82 
- Charles Andrews Bookwalter (1860-1926), American Republican politician, Candidate for Indiana State House of Representatives, 1886; Mayor of Indianapolis, Indiana, 1901-03, 1906-09 
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html